PDA

View Full Version : A Kalahari Sunrise

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Scenes like this lure me back to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park year after year.
I captured this sunrise from my vehicle window as we were on a game drive in the northern Nossob river.
Don't let the restrictions of not being able to get out and use a tripod prevent you from capturing a scene that grabs you attention.

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 @ 24mm
Circular Polariser
f16 | 1/100 SS | ISO-4500

Diane Miller
08-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Wonderful tree and fantastic sky! Inclusion of the cloud in the UL balances the tree nicely. Great starburst, too.

Karen Pleasant
08-07-2015, 05:50 PM
You have created a fine image here! The contrast of the blue sky with the orangish colors of sunrise conveys the transition from night to day very well. The composition, including the star burst, has obviously been carefully and thoughtfully done to create a lot of depth in the image. Even though the vertical orientation is very effective, I think a horizontal without the bright clouds in the upper left would be very strong also. Did you happen to take a horizontal?

Andrew McLachlan
08-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Beautiful work Morkel...I love where you placed the sunburst!!!

Rachel Hollander
08-13-2015, 07:34 AM
Hi Morkel - A beautiful dawn image. I really like the soft transitions of light and the sunburst behind the tree is very effective.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
08-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Dear Morkel,

Viewing this image I have just realised once again how beneficial contact with this magic place is for me. As soon as I opened the thumbnail my thoughts were "...what better land to showcase Nature's beauty than the mighty Kalahari?"

I love your Kalahari Sunrise and yes my heart shrinks a little, I will not see this place for some time and it feels unfair. I take a great deal of pleasure viewing and recognising familiar places in some of your images, although I admit their influence is usually limited by the time I spend viewing them - I think I must pop in to Landscapes more often:)

Morkel, this is beautiful in every way and I love the colours and composition. The main feature under those vast blue skies - the Tree - makes me think of patience, of time, this is one "character" that will endure the many seasons of the Kalahari without complaint, adjusting itself to those extreme temperatures of the semi-desert and with no desire to run away from those massive storms:)

This inspires me to try my hand at Landscapes too, hope you might lend a hand when I need it, will you?

Wishing you a lovely evening,

BenBotha
08-17-2015, 08:29 AM
Lovely image, reflecting Kgalagadi's open spaces. I agree with the other comments.
Ben

Don Lacy
08-17-2015, 03:17 PM
Wonderful image Morkel, great use of the tree to create the sunburst and as usual wonderful job on the tones you do a great job of using the DR of the nikon without it looking dull or over done.

peter delaney
08-23-2015, 04:44 AM
Nicely captured Morkel