PDA

View Full Version : Summit

Terry Johnson
08-03-2015, 01:21 PM

Hello, a group of climbers heading for the summit of Mt Raineer. They leave from the Paradise Lodge and hike to the summit over two days. Summit elevation is 14,410.

Nikon D810
24-70mm @ 24mm
F4
1/1500
ISO 64
HH

Your comments please...Terry Johnson

Valerio Tarone
08-03-2015, 01:32 PM
Terry hi, I write just for my experience in mountain photos(I began as an hobby in Alpin Club):the place is certainly challenging, the people seems very disorganized, i should like to people in a row! moreover you probably began the climbing hours before, so you could have use the early hours of the morning. Or not?

Karen Pleasant
08-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Nice documentary photo of the hike and the challenge ahead. Looks like the group is heading out after a brief rest. Colors and sharpness are very good.

Diane Miller
08-03-2015, 10:37 PM
Hi Terry,

Nice to see you here again! Wow -- looks like it will be a cold night on the way to the top.

The light here is mid-day but the colors you got are excellent. Did you have a chance to shoot a series as the hikers moved a little farther up the trail? Valerio makes a good point about other opportunities in early and late light -- hope we get to see some! You got wonderful detail in the snow and clouds -- looks like great processing to me. And great DOF for f/4 -- I would have thought you'd need more.

Morkel Erasmus
08-04-2015, 04:02 PM
I think you did great in terms of contrast and exposure for the time of day.
Yes the "arrangement" of hikers could have been better, but it also depends on whether you wanted to "stage" them or just snap a natural moment (and in the case of the latter they perhaps didn't line up naturally in an ideal way). I do wish there was more space on the RHS and a little less on the LHS.

Terry Johnson
08-04-2015, 04:53 PM
Hi Diane, the climbers were completing a break and getting ready for the hike to base camp at 10,500. The image was an opportunity that presented itself while we were hiking to a panorama point at 8000'. The DOF of F-4 was provided by a wide angle lens. It was a beautiful day. Thanks for the feedback and good to hear from you...T

Andrew McLachlan
08-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Hi Terry, very nicely done for the time of day...agree with the other comments...I see one stray dust bunny in the clouds :)