PDA

View Full Version : Theme Gnawing at the Bones (GORE)

Morkel Erasmus
08-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Do you remember the old forlorn-looking male leopard I photographed in the Sabi Sands in May?
If not - check out this post for a refresher:
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/129493-All-in-the-Eyes

This is a photo of him when he was eventually able to battle up the tree and gnaw on the carcass he'd found (we presumed it was the kill of a female leopard that she abandoned when he approached).
Believe it or not, in all my years of living in Africa and photographing wildlife - I'd never had the chance to photograph a leopard feeding in a tree at close range, so I relished this opportunity despite the busy branches and the haggled look of the cat.

If you want to see a video shot with my iPhone of how he struggled to get up the tree - see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUU5ahsMbsY

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f8.0 | 1/320 SS | ISO-2500
Close to full frame, cropped to remove distracting elements

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-02-2015, 11:34 PM
Wow Morkel, the detail and sharpness is simply amazing. I like the exposure, the eyes and comp. Thanks for the video too, show how the leopard struggled to climb the tree and finally managed to reach the kill. Great sighting indeed!

haseeb badar
08-03-2015, 02:42 AM
Hi Morkel -- very nicely framed ! I find it a tad over sharpened with a possibility of reducing some contrast also . But a real eye catching portrait here ! What is that gel like secretion from its eyes ???

Nancy Bell
08-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Very dramatic and outstanding close-up capture! It is hard to keep my eyes off his eyes and the intensity of his feeding. I also wonder if it is a bit too sharp?

Gabriela Plesea
08-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Hello Morkel,

I love leopards, I also like a gore warning when I see it...Saw the thumbnail earlier but decided not to spoil things by viewing on my laptop at work. Got home tonight, computer on, BPN, Wildlife, Morkel's image... suddenly I must move back, away from the screen... this is so in my face, so close, intense, the flesh, the leopard, hungry and so beautiful...Wonderful portrait of this predator feeding and I can just imagine how close you were, Boetie. This image gives me an intense longing to spend the rest of my life taking photographs in the wild. I think you are already doing that:)

A vibrant image with clarity where it matters most - that eye is superb. Whiskers pop out from the screen. Don't know whether I would go back on the sharpness - I think I like it as is, I would have liked a bit more DOF but that's nitpicking under the circumstances. Just wonderful Morkel, I am green with envy!!!

Warmest regards,

Rachel Hollander
08-03-2015, 07:28 PM
Hi Morkel - Love the intensity of the eyes here. I too would back off on the sharpness of the nose area, leaving the eyes as is. The video is so sad to watch what was once one of the most dominant leopards in the Sabi Sand struggle to get up the tree. Then it looks like he hardly ate once he reached the carcass unless that was clever editing.

TFS both,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
08-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Hi Morkel , this is really in the face :bg3:, i just love this Gore stuff :wave:.Just as life can be in the bush .
I like the overall comp and colors , the leaf is a nice color contrast in the frame .
I personally might think of lowering the overall contrast a bit and back off on the sharpening, as in parts the hairs do look coarse and not fine as in real life . but i guess you can alter that if you wish , my friend .

Great work Morkel and i guess very cool to witness this

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
08-13-2015, 04:47 PM
Thanks for your comments, folks!