PDA

View Full Version : I'm Gonna Get You!

Gabriela Plesea
08-02-2015, 01:47 PM
... I am back with more, and here's an old image from the archives, but still quite precious because of the behaviour aspect:)

Those two naughty young chaps are the sons of Freddie, a beautiful male lion we met in 2009 at Mata Mata (in the Kalahari). Those two are hopefully still alive and well, although I doubt we'd be able to recognise them if we saw them...Freddie lived a long and very successful life, having fathered many offspring during his reign. Interesting enough, all of those young we met belonged to the same female. We spent many hours in Fred's company, somehow we were lucky to find him every time we camped in that area. Together with his female, they were an awesome pair - caring and loving and so protective over their young. Freddie was a bit of a disciplinarian, especially when his boys became boisterous and troublesome, some years later we watched him say good-bye to three of his sons who were a bit too old to stick around.

We were sad to learn that Freddie passed away not long before we arrived at Mata Mata in February this year.

Have a wonderful week, everyone - and thank you so much for viewing.

Diane Miller
08-02-2015, 02:46 PM
What gorgeous selective focus, highlighting the story so well! I've always been a cat person and I'm feeling even closer to lions, if that's possible, in the last few days. I hope some good can come of this tragic great white hunter incident.

It's sad to hear of Freddie's passing but it sounds like he left a good heritage.

Gabriela Plesea
08-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Thank you so much Diane:)

That "focus" you mentioned is due to the fact that I never changed my settings in those days, shot just about everything with ISO 400 and F5.6, LOL. Sometimes it worked...

You would love lions if you spent lots of time with them. And yes, there's more awareness than ever about the plight of those awesome, incredible animals, thanks to this story - I hope proper investigation will reveal the truth.

Unlike Cecil, our Freddie had a very long life. He was a powerful and confident male with rather mean-looking eyes but we adored him, every six months we camped at Mata Mata and searched the river bed to find him. We watched him mate with his female, play with his youngsters, and sometimes sleep under the shade of those amazing old trees of Mata-Mata... In later years we saw him struggle to get up, arthritis was beginning to bother him. I will never forget this particular sighting - it was pouring with rain and the sandy road looked like a river, while the river bed itself (usually barren) soaked with water and so green. Freddie's little cubs were playing, running around, sopping wet and deliriously happy. Three subadults - his other sons - were chasing their little siblings and rolling in the wet grass with them. Mom kept on walking, interacting with everyone, and they all groomed each other...There was so much body language, so much touching, rubbing, tails intertwining... one of our best sightings ever! Only Freddie stayed behind, at first lying on the grass, rain pouring on his already wet mane, then getting up slowly, a grimace on his face as he managed to stand on his feet. The three subadults wanted his affection but were afraid of him; even though at some point they were almost as big as he was, all it took him was one look at them with his gaunt, penetrating eyes - they would cower and shy away, hiding behind Mom. He never hurt them though, they were his flesh and blood. A year later we saw Freddie chase them up the dune, he finally decided it was time for them to go.

Not a good image but here's one of Freddie's last offspring, and again thank you Diane for your interest and for taking the time to view, I appreciate it:)

Kind regards,

Karen Pleasant
08-03-2015, 12:30 PM
What a joy to see and read about your adventures with these wonderful animals. To me they are especially important since you have been able to spend time, over they years, to really observe and learn about this animals. Truly a unique opportunity!

The selective focus on the first, as Diane mentioned, is very effective. And the son must have inherited Dad's piercing eyes! The light and pose in the 2nd is thrilling to see.

Diane Miller
08-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Your wonderful portrait inspired me to dig up a picture of a lion I made several years ago -- it's in OOTB.

Gabriela Plesea
08-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Thank you Karen and Diane!

Will take a look at your lion, Diane:S3:

Sorry to reply so late, had a house full of visitors for the past few days:)

Hope you both had a lovely Sunday, wishing you a wonderful week ahead,

Christopher Miller
08-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Great photos, Garbriela! Thank you for sharing the stories of these amazing animals with us.

Gabriela Plesea
08-15-2015, 02:30 PM
I have many stories, Christopher:) Hope I live long enough to tell them all:w3

Thank you kindly for your comments, always appreciated.

Warmest regards,