PDA

View Full Version : Trees

Rachel Hollander
08-01-2015, 10:40 AM
It has been a fairly long time since I have posted a landscape image. I am getting ready for a trip that I expect will be mostly landscapes, the Grand Canyon so I thought I should post one from my last trip. Taken in Yellowstone this past winter near Sedge Bay. The idea was for a graphic type image of the barren/burned trees. Cropped from horizontal to get the most dense area. I would have preferred a clean snow edge at the bottom of the frame but there were some downed trees across the fg preventing it. Btw this is color. It was an overcast day with occasional snow flurries.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 165mm
1/200
f7.1
ISO 100
HH, cropped from horizontal, levels, curves, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Lorant Voros
08-01-2015, 12:49 PM
I like the simplicity of the vertical lines of trees and the mood of the image with the B&W feel of the winter landscape. TFS.

Valerio Tarone
08-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Rachel,hi, I like it. the vertical lines meet a diagonal giving a perfect balance,as you mentioned that's 'graphic'. Good the idea of B&W

Diane Miller
08-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Very nice! I love the detail, subtle color and the abstract patterns.

Rachel Hollander
08-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Thanks Lorant, Valerio and Diane, much appreciated. Valerio - this is color, the b&w effect is nature's.

Morkel Erasmus
08-04-2015, 04:41 PM
I quite like this, Rachel - and having the treeline "end" near the top of the frame helps the eye/brain figure out what's really going on.
Simplistic and graphic - nice one!

Hazel Grant
08-10-2015, 11:23 AM
All of the above. The fact that it is color probably gives it more depth because there are the "unseen' subtleties of color that BW can't give.

Andrew McLachlan
08-11-2015, 07:58 PM
Hi Rachel...great to see you posting in Landscapes again...we have missed you. I love the graphic look to this scene and think it is perfect just the way it is. Looking forward to seeing your Grand Canyon images :)

Rachel Hollander
08-13-2015, 07:52 AM
Thanks Morkel, Hazel and Andrew, much appreciated as always.