View Full Version : toucan heaven

stuart wanuck
08-01-2015, 08:31 AM
nikon d 810
300 mm
f 6.3

Geoff Newhouse
08-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Wow, what an image. I love the perch, the details and colours of the toucan and what I really liked best was the perfectly "bokehlicious" palm leaves in the background. I found the leaves to be rendered just perfectly to give an interesting background. Some may prefer the background to just be smooth green but I really liked seeing the lines of the leaves and knowing what the background came from and usually I don't like that at all. Something just worked for me in this case.

TFS
Geoff

keith mitchell
08-01-2015, 09:47 AM
You have posted some crackers of these birds Stuart, this is my top favourite, bird looks stunning and that bg is spot on.

Keith.

Joseph Przybyla
08-01-2015, 10:19 AM
I think this is your best, Stuart. Beautiful bird, nicely shown. Thank you for sharing.

John Robinson
08-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Thats about the best of the bunch Stu. Incredible bird. And what a BG. Being picky I would remove the pale leave top left. No big deal.
John

Bill Dix
08-01-2015, 12:34 PM
You've been nailing the species, but I agree this one tops them all. Great colors, great perch, great background. Very nicely done. [PS, just doing a browser crop, it looks like cropping in from the left to the middle of the darker leaf, and cloning out the upper leaf, would position the bird nicely in the frame, for an alternative comp.]

adrian dancy
08-01-2015, 11:17 PM
Simply superb Stuart. The only thing I'd do is tone down the leaf top left hand corner. The leaf bunch is sort of helping frame the image without the necessity of a crop or further crop IMHO.

Karen Pleasant
08-02-2015, 11:03 AM
Excellent perch, bird position and background. I like that you held some detail in the blacks and bright yellow chest area. I agree with Adrian's suggestion to darken the lighter leaf. The lighter colored spine of the palm leaf in the background is mildly distracting because it intersects the colorful bill. Perhaps it would benefit from a little darkening also......at least to my eyes.

However, this is a stunning image just as presented! Well done!

Stu Bowie
08-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Hi Stuart, striking colours on the Toucan, and love how the beak follows the line of the perch. I do like the perch and OOF BG.