PDA

View Full Version : Theme Wild Dog Water Pursuit

Rachel Hollander
07-31-2015, 07:41 PM
I couldn't let this month's theme finish without posting one from our amazing sighting of the wild dog pack playing in the dam in the Timbavati Game Reserve. Remember tomorrow starts the new theme, Portraits/Head Shots.

Canon 7D
300 II
1/1600
f7.1
ISO 800
Beanbag from safari vehicle, cropped to about 50% of ff in part to eliminate partial dogs at edges, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
08-01-2015, 02:31 AM
Hi Rachel a great and powerful image of the WD to finish off this month theme .
I love the expression in the face and the splashing water . You did really well in capture from my POV :cheers:.Not that easy to keep this in focus with all the water flying around .
Cannot comment on tone/color as i am looking onn a really not ideal screen at work , so forgive me that i skip that .
I would loose some of the bottom , too much of dead space from my POV as the doggie seems to run across to the left .
Just my thinking

TFS i enjoyed viewing this frame , nice work Rachel

Andreas

haseeb badar
08-01-2015, 04:59 AM
Hi Rachel -- nice action , lovely colors and details inspite of a 50% crop, well processed to. I see a bit of cyan on the back leg , I think a 9 x 16 crop will make this image more appealing by eliminating that extra space at the bottom. And that greenish thing on the LHS is some kind of algae ?? TFS.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Hi Rachel, excellent image to end the month! I like the eye contact, the splashing water and comp. Wonderful colours too! The theme was indeed fun.

Rachel Hollander
08-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Thanks Andreas, Haseeb and Sanjeev very much. The color of the water really varied depending on the light hitting it and the depth. There was definitely a lot of green.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
08-02-2015, 07:13 AM
Hello Rachel!

I guess you already know this is my favourite of your Wild Dog images, and one I shall always remember!

What a wonderful capture, all I see is joy and playfulness on this character's face. He seems surprised - or maybe just delighted - by the other family member catching up fast, adding more splash and making this one crazy, wonderful, wet chase!

Apart from being a very special behavioural image, this frame carries a lot of emotion. Love the interaction from the dogs and those warm colours -they enhance the mood tremendously.
Very well exposed and I like the framing/composition, nice and sharp and FP is surely spot-on, great skills in the field my friend:cheers:

One of those memorable images I expect to see on magazine covers, this is what I call "money shot" Rachel, CONGRATULATIONS!

Hope you have a wonderful day, thank you for sharing this special image with us:S3:

Morkel Erasmus
08-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Nice action indeed, must've been an exciting sighting to sit in, Rachel!
I like the splash and the clean surrounds, might just shave some off the bottom (bearing in mind you said it's a fairly large crop already)

Stu Bowie
08-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Hi Rachel, capturing any wild dog action is great, and in this, I like the angled run of the dogs with all the flying water. I do like the overall colours in the image. Well captured.

Nancy Bell
08-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Wonderful dog action with the flying water! Great to get that eye in focus! I would consider cropping up from the bottom as it seems like just too much water with so little to balance it at the top. I am envious of all wild dog images as I have yet to see one.

Rachel Hollander
08-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Thanks Gabriela, Stu, Morkel and Nancy. I very much appreciate the comments and suggestions. I have the feeling that this particular sighting was a once in a lifetime experience. I have been fortunate though to see wild dogs on multiple trips and in multiple reserves.

Thanks again,
Rachel