PDA

View Full Version : Silvered Langur baby

Nancy Bell
07-31-2015, 05:01 PM
Another primate species from Borneo. The Silvered Langur is classified as Near Threatened and in Borneo suffers habitat loss from much land being turned in the dreaded palm oil plantations. I loved seeing the golden-orange babies! They gradually turn grayish at 3-5 months. Allomothering is common and this baby is happy surrounded by two females. This troop passed through a park in town and were habituated to people and happy to take hand-outs or steal from the vegetable carts. Interesting they were not in the least aggressive, unlike other monkey species that I have seen interact with people and food.

Canon 1Dx, Canon 70200 @200mm, 1/200, f7.1, ISO 800, exp. comp -2/3, ETTL flash -1, handheld

c & c most appreciated.

Rachel Hollander
07-31-2015, 07:49 PM
Hi Nancy - Great detail and sharpness. I like the comp of the youngster nestled in the mother but wish that you had shot a little wider so as not to cut the feet and to give the right hand a little more room. I'm not familiar with the colors but there seems to be a cyan cast to the greys/silvers of both the adult and the baby's face. An easy fix if you are so inclined. Looking forward to your next species.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
08-01-2015, 02:35 AM
Hi Nancy a very cool frame of this nice species , good to see something different in terms of species variety .
Lovely pose of the youngster .
I agree with Rachel regarding the crop , cannot comment on color /tone / detail as the screen i am looking is less than ideal , so i skip that .

TFS Andreas

haseeb badar
08-01-2015, 05:08 AM
Hi Nancy -- another good image from you ! lovely details and the composition would have been even better had u managed to got those feet and fingers at the bottom of the image , but i certainly dont know what shooting conditions u were encountering , pls keep them coming they are a treat to watch . TFS !

Nancy Bell
08-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Thanks all! Agree a bit wider crop would have been ideal. I adjusted the color cast in this repost but not sure if much changed due to my not seeing/understanding the process exactly. I found a technique that uses the color sampler tool, threshold adjustment and levels adjustment. Then a slight curves adjustment to add a bit of saturation back.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Hi Nancy, great to see another new species here. Wonderful detail, eye contact and colours. The RP looks great! TFS.

Rachel Hollander
08-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Hi Nancy - I'm still seeing the cyan in the rp. There are lots of ways to correct a color cast. One of the easiest is to use a Hue/Saturation Layer and then just drop the saturation of the particular color. Of course, if necessary use a mask so that you don't affect other areas. Here I dropped the cyans by -75 so that the difference would be obvious. You could drop it less to taste.

Rachel

Nancy Bell
08-01-2015, 05:38 PM
Thanks Rachel! Using the hue/sat layer is a lot easier than the technique I tried, plus it works!

Gabriela Plesea
08-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Hello Nancy,

However I look at this baby Langur, and from whatever angle, he is staring straight into my eyes - love the angle and POV. A deep, enquiring, perhaps a tad insecure look from the little one I dare say, for he is holding so tight onto his minders, both seated rather comfortably. Love those hands resting, one touching the subject...

I like what I am seeing, very much. I understand what you were trying to achieve and realise the circumstances did not allow you to get more distance between you and your subjects. Still an awesome capture and loads of emotion coming through, especially from the female on the LHS - I cannot see her eyes but I do not really want to, she is looking towards the baby and I like her body language (touching), it all comes together so nicely:)

I see Rachel has removed the cyan, so I just want to say: great work with the flash Nancy, nice DOF , sharpness is there, and I am very taken with this golden, not yet Silvered Langur of yours!!! Cannot wait to see more on this species, is there more?

Kind regards,

Morkel Erasmus
08-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Very cute!
I agree with the colour cast and would perhaps crop tighter from the bottom in the absence of more space there?
Nice repost by Rachel to handle the colour cast.

Nancy Bell
08-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Thank you Morkel and Gabriela. Gabriela, you are so observant and eloquent. You have seen what I was hoping to capture.