PDA

View Full Version : Theme Kevin & Dennis in ...... Water World

Andreas Liedmann
07-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Hi folks ,
as time is flying bye like ..... i just need to participate for this month theme with these two boys from Helgoland playing in the calm surf .
Image taken last years trip to that island .
Hope you like it .

Canon EOS 1Dx
Ef 200-400 IS L at 560 mm
tripod and gitzo fluid head

F 8 ; Iso 2500 ; 1/1000 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC 2015 ; cropped for comp to 40 % of FF

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
07-29-2015, 07:50 AM
Hi Andreas - Good to see you posting. Nice pov and comp. Colors look good as well. I wonder if the crop is affecting IQ. There is a fall off in detail and sharpness on the right side of the nose of the rhs seal but areas closer (the cheek and whiskers) and further away (the seal on the left) are sharper and have more detail.

TFS,
Rachel

Andre Pretorius
07-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Hi Andreas

Laughed at your title...:t3

Comp works, pleasing to the eye.

Nicely exposed to get your detail in blacks and not to blow the whites. I know you love ETTR, how much did you overexpose here?

A famous and successful photographer love to shoot even at -2.5EV(it creates a different mood, he states, colours are more richer), but when shooting dark subjects, I noticed he uses spot exposure..What is your take on this?
Nice detail on seals..

I see what Rachel means, even if focal point was on left seal, the resulting DOF @F8 would have them both in focus?

Cheers, mr BE!

Gabriela Plesea
07-29-2015, 01:59 PM
Dear Boetie,

So glad to view another seal image from you! The variety of those frames in terms of content amazes me... been wondering, how much more you have in those folders, and what's next?

I am tempted to attribute the apparent lack of IQ (RHS seal) to the amount of water running down his fur, not sure how far the subjects were from you but I think you have enough experience to appreciate distance and SS needed? I can only assume the chap on the RHS of the frame came out of the water at a later stage, lots of water running down his back and I am not saying this in your defence but just making an educated guess - what is your memory of shooting this scene? Love the pose from the two and the interaction makes it a great behavioural shot, colours look natural to me, those whiskers and teeth are awesome - just lovely Andreas, framing/comp works 100% and what a pleasure to view, thank you my Boet!!!

Warmest regards from your Sister in South Africa:wave:

Andreas Liedmann
07-29-2015, 02:44 PM
Hi Rachel , Andre and my little sister , thank you so much for your views and thoughts regarding the image .
I agree with you regarding the softer look of the RHS seal , no loss of IQ because of cropping as if this was because of it ..... the whole image would have been soft .... right ?
Simple reason is the FP was more on the second seal , plus the RHS seal was moving quickly so the 1/1000 sec was simply too slow for this . :bg3:.

Andre overexposed by 1,3 EV in manual mode and multisegment metering :wave:and this works for me in most cases , sometimes it does not work , cause i either blow the HL or plug the S/H .

Hope this helps cheers and thanks again Andreas

haseeb badar
07-30-2015, 02:40 AM
Hi Andreas -- another lovely Seal image ! i liked the moment and composition in this image , and thanks for clearing the IQ and focusing issue raised !

Andreas Liedmann
07-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Thanks Haseeb for your reply , much appreciated .

Chers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
08-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Your title reminds me of how utterly crap the movie was, haha :5
But the image is quite nice. I agree with Rachel there's a bit of an IQ drop-off but nothing major that you can't fix.
Good call going vertical and I like the colour tones here.