PDA

View Full Version : Yes, I have the tail

MiroslavMaric
07-28-2015, 06:33 AM
Caterpillar of Poplar Hawk-moth.
5D3, Sigma 180mm macro, hand holding, native outdoor light, BG & perch. To turn the face I touch the caterpillar with my finger. I used limited DOF to point out the face contact.
f/10, 1/320s, ISO800.
PP: NR of BG, tone adjustment. The frame full size is: 5082 x 3408 pixels.

Thanks for viewing and CC.
Cheers,
Miro

Nancy Bell
07-28-2015, 12:29 PM
That's fantastic that the face is turned towards the viewer and is so sharp! This makes the image unique and so interesting. It allows the viewer to see & study something one does not normally get to see. Good simple perch, and diagonal composition with a perfect soft mottled bkgd.

Jonathan Ashton
07-29-2015, 04:45 AM
Outstanding quality and beautiful colours. An excellent capture, I have to say though that the OOF focus feet and tail keep drawing my eye from the sharp head.

Diane Miller
08-02-2015, 03:06 PM
You TOUCHED that thing? Yecch. But it was a very good idea, to get a face turn and to get it so sharp! (Does that qualify as a face?)

For me, the back feet and tail are very interesting, and make it kind of cute. I'd love to see them sharp as well.

Russ Norwood
08-10-2015, 06:35 PM
Fascinating subject well-captured. I like your decision to touch the caterpillar, encouraging it to turn its head toward the camera. Even so, I think more depth of field would have improved the shot. The head angle would still have drawn our eyes to your point of focus but more of the insect would have been sharp at F11 - 16 and such a slow-moving animal might still have been sharp at the resulting shutter speed.

Worth a try at various settings I think.

Outstanding image just as it is.

Russ

MiroslavMaric
08-11-2015, 08:19 AM
but more of the insect would have been sharp at F11 - 16 and such a slow-moving animal might still have been sharp at the resulting shutter speed.

Worth a try at various settings I think.

Thanks Russ. It was outdoor capture. Agree the caterpillar is slow but please not the air flow made a trouble too. The vibration/moving of the perch was an issue.

Cheers,
Miro