PDA

View Full Version : Horseshoe Lake at Sunset

Andrew McLachlan
07-27-2015, 08:21 PM
I have just returned from a week up at the cottage on Horseshoe Lake near Parry Sound, Ontario and will be home for 5 days before heading back for another week. The lay of the land at the cottage does not usually allow for too many sunset opportunities from the dock, but on occasion it does co-operate. Here is one from last week. This scene is a blend of two images...one for the sky and one for the smoothed water...the second exposure for the smooth water was needed due to wave action created by passing motor boats ruining the water in the first image.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 19mm
ISO 50
f16 @ 1.6 sec
No filters used

Look forward to comments.

Valerio Tarone
07-28-2015, 02:11 AM
Hi Andrew, gorgeous sky with the lines of the clouds. gorgeous colors. A question for the others members: cropping a bit the bottom could give more impact?

Don Railton
07-28-2015, 11:25 PM
Hi Andrew

I think Valerio is right, a small crop from the bottom does lift it a bit more for me..

DON

Don Lacy
07-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Wonderful color in the sky and it is nice to see some black trees old school style :S3:
agree about taking a tad of the bottom

Diane Miller
07-31-2015, 09:27 PM
Nice blend! Love the radiating clouds. I like the gradient burn at the bottom and would keep it -- maybe add a bit in the LR.

Rachel Hollander
08-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Hi Andrew - Gorgeous color and before even reading the comments, I also thought take some off the bottom. My thought was crop to just above the leaves or whatever it is floating in the lower right quadrant.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
08-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Thanks folks for the comments and suggestions...I created numerous variations on the crop and will see if I have one with less on the bottom...I do believe I created one with less on bottom and even more sky...just back from up north so will look tomorrow.

Don Hamilton Jr.
09-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Splendid image.....Congrats... yes it could benefit from a tad less canvas off of the bottom...