PDA

View Full Version : Proboscis Monkey

Nancy Bell
07-27-2015, 03:17 PM
The Proboscis Monkey is only found on Borneo and a few surrounding small islands. They require habitat with appropriate vegetation for feeding within 1 km of waterways. This is exactly the kind of land that is usually developed first, leaving the Proboscis Monkey endangered. They are a brilliant ginger color and the males sport the largest noses. Females apparently choose males with the most robust nose. I think this male has one of the bigger noses! To give an idea of size, the males are 73-76 cm (head & body) and weigh 20-24 kg.

Canon 1Dx, Canon 200-400 f4 L IS 1.4 ext @560mm, 1/640, f6.3, ISO 320.

c & c most appreciated

Morkel Erasmus
07-27-2015, 04:03 PM
These guys are just the funniest with their schnauzers - and to think the ladies go for the guy with the biggest honker! :cheers:
Nice side profile here...perhaps a wee bit oversharpened? And some of the bright spots look a tad overcooked, especially back of the neck?

Gabriela Plesea
07-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Oh Nancy...I am so tempted to touch the screen right now...if only to see if that cute nose is real:) What an extraordinary subject to photograph! I am fascinated with your Proboscis Monkey, and so glad you had such an amazing opportunity. Quite jealous too!

Nancy, if this awesome fellow was mine I would try a few things in terms of composition... like taking off the bottom a little, and if possible giving him quite a bit more room for that awesome nose to "look" (or "sniff") into. I do not mind square crops in general but I feel that such a pensive, reflective look on the subject's face might benefit from a bit of space, WDYT? I am also tempted to take off from the RHS.

Lovely detail, the colours are fantastic, and I agree with Morkel on the sharpening and those bright bits. Nevertheless a superb capture, I truly enjoyed viewing and cannot wait to see what else you have in your folders...does it get any better than this?

Kind regards, TFS,

Rachel Hollander
07-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Hi Nancy - It certainly looks like you had a great and successful trip. This a great portrait and certainly shows off his nose. I agree with Morkel's suggestions and with Gabriela's for a bit more space in front if you have it. If your ethics allow, you might want to blend the oof area just to the left of the monkey at the bottom. Looking forward to more images from your trip.

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
07-27-2015, 10:38 PM
Hi Nancy, thanks for sharing this portrait of the endangered monkey. I like the comp with soft light and nice BG. That nose is something and your image highlights it nicely. Great colours and terrific detail.

haseeb badar
07-28-2015, 07:17 AM
Hi Nancy -- Another great image from ur trip !! that nose is an amazing feature of the monkey and u have captured it beautifully . agree with above suggestions for improvement . TFS !

Nancy Bell
07-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Thank you everyone for your very helpful suggestions and lovely comments! Here is a repost incorporating the suggestions.

Andreas Liedmann
07-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Hi Nancy these guys are so much full of character for me. Great you saw and captured them with your camera , i think you must have had a great time , waiting for some Orang Utan frames :t3.
Lovely portrait of this guy with good colors and a pleasing comp with the RP , works better than OP .
My feeling is you should lower local contrast as it does look still a bit too heavy to me , but i could be well wrong .
I might also drop a tiny bit of the oranges .... but use a mask :w3 to avoid overall reduction

Keep them coming Nancy , TFS Andreas

Nancy Bell
07-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Thank you Andreas for your thoughtful suggestions! Will try those.

Gabriela Plesea
07-29-2015, 10:53 AM
This is IT, Nancy!!!

Perfect composition, love it, thank you for taking the time to RP.

Pretty please could you share some more in the future, if you have?

Have a wonderful evening:)

Andre Pretorius
07-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Hi Nancy

This is a real eye-catcher!
Love the detail in the fur and face.

Rp works, I would even suggest an 20% crop from bottom in OP...

The far away look in those eyes, what was he thinking about...

Seems that size does matter...:t3