PDA

View Full Version : Sundew.

Daniel Cadieux
07-23-2015, 01:28 PM
I had fun hunting for Sundew plants a couple of weeks ago. Most of their leaves are either flat on the boggy floor, or surrounded by many distractions...but by carefully observing them you will hopefully be rewarded with a leaf sticking up and above the funky stuff. I was this time! Just a few dry tamarack needles to physically remove, and then finding a pleasing angle for a good backdrop, and voila!

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/100s., f/8, ISO 800, flash at -1/3 FEC, handheld, FF, toned down a couple of the brighter highlights (via burn tool, clone stamp).

Nancy Bell
07-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Wow! You found a great angle that shows shows so well the droplets at the end of each spike. It looks like a mini explosion with those spikes radiating outwards with the sparkling droplets. The bright yellow greens add a great pop of color amid all those amazing deep reds. A wonderful view into the mysterious world of bogs!

Karen Pleasant
07-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Really a strong composition! The color really pop and the flower head stands out nicely from the background. Excellent image! Never heard of or seen this before....TFS!

Diane Miller
07-23-2015, 09:32 PM
A new one on me, too. Love the detail you captured with enough softness in the BG. I might remove the green thing at the bottom border, or turn it red.

Joseph Przybyla
07-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Nice one, Daniel. More years that I want to remember I photographed this same plant at a bog in Hillsboro, New Hampshire. So long ago I was using Kodak Etkachrome. Your image displays the plant nicely. Thank you for sharing.

Steve Maxson
07-27-2015, 08:29 PM
Very nice DOF to get the leaf and most of the sticky droplets sharp - and yet still be clearly separated from the background! One of the best sundew shots I've seen!

OvidiuCavasdan
08-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Very interesting subject, well composed, good sharpness on the droplets. I like the oof far BG, but also the mix of sharp and oof in the foreground. Beautiful colors! I only wish the oof green leaf on the left side was not there, but this is a very good image in difficult surroundings.