PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant - female

Steve Kaluski
07-22-2015, 07:57 AM
Often being in a hide/blind for 4-6 hours in one session can be boring to say the least, and if owls sit, preen or indeed nod off, then some additional wildlife that enters into the frame, is very much welcome! Owls are too soporific :S3:.

I would have preferred an even lower angle to gain more eye contact, but sadly not achievable other than breaking out into the open which was not an option. The sound of the lens poking through a velcro aperture may have caught her attention?

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Female pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) in grass
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 500f/4 with 1.4x HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO1600
Original format: Landscape, cropped for presentation
Processed: LRCC 2015 & PSCC 2015
Manipulation: Two dark blades of grass removed in background

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.

Stu Bowie
07-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Hi Steve, I feel you are being harsh on yourself regarding the angle, I think its fine. We have a great view of the head and thats a great eye. Perfect detail and sharpness on the head too. I like how the DOF falls away behind the pheasant. Hope you having fun. :w3

Marina Scarr
07-22-2015, 12:09 PM
The angle doesn't bother me a bit. I love the grasses surrounding the pheasant. I think I would crop from left and bottom and move the bird to the left. I don't think the tail in this case is an issue.

keith mitchell
07-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Bird in it's habitat Steve ,think the front of the bird and it's head is good enough to hold the viewers attention, like the blades of grass giving a very natural look.

Keith.

William Dickson
07-22-2015, 05:27 PM
What a very natural looking image Steve. The detail on the bird, being surrounded by those grasses really appeal to me. Nice work

Will

Rachel Hollander
07-22-2015, 06:51 PM
Hi Steve - You've held back! I really love the detail and soft colors of the pheasant here. I have no problem with the angle and you might have had grass in the way if you went lower. You've really separated the head from the bg well.

TFS,
Rachel

gail bisson
07-22-2015, 07:19 PM
Very nice Steve.
I like the curved grasses framing the head. Very nice how she is nestled in the grasses.
If you have the pixels, I could see a tighter version eliminating the OOF tail.
I wish I could complain about owls being soporific!!
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
07-23-2015, 07:11 AM
I see no issue with the angle either...any lower and you potentially introduce too much grass in front of the subject. Super nice details, and I like the alert pose. I like Marina's comp suggestion, or more room top and right if you have it. Owls soporific? No way man!:bg3:

Steve Kaluski
07-23-2015, 09:10 AM
Owls soporific? No way man!

Dan, I'm getting soft, when those 'clamshell' eyelids gently/slowly close, and then they let out that BIG yawn..., I'll tell you, early starts, longs hours just waiting, you cannot help but want a nap :bg3:. Or it could well be me?

Diane Miller
07-24-2015, 12:12 AM
Elegant image -- beautifully sharp on the head and lovely shallow DOF for the FG and BG. I think the crop is perfect, with the bird centered in a sort of nest. The more detailed grass blades on the left balance the head very nicely.