View Full Version : Razorbill

William Dickson
07-20-2015, 02:46 PM
Canon 1D Mk4
f/4 500mm
f/6.3
1/1250
ISO 1000

I finally got myself a 1D Mk4, and returned to the Isle of May yesterday to 'try it out'. I soon discovered that it is so much different from using the 5D Mk3. When I got home, I discovered that most of my images were over exposed. I was looking at the previews on the LCD screen,at the time of capture, where they didn't look over exposed. I was slightly exposing to the right, as I did with the 5D, but obviously I was over exposing too much. Anyway. this one of the Razorbill didn't look too bad. Also, my BIF frames weren't very sharp. I think I will have to change the focus settings. :e3

Thanks for looking at this image, and any advice would be much appreciated.

Will

Ian Wilson
07-20-2015, 08:39 PM
A sweet capture Will. Techs look good on this one. I have just taken a bit off the bottom with my browser and think it improves the composition. I hope your change-over to the 1DIV is successful. Kind regards, Ian.

keith mitchell
07-21-2015, 01:52 AM
Looking at this on my I pad Will, exposure and sharpness look fine, very much like the way.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
07-21-2015, 03:06 AM
Hi Will, from recollection, I had a similar experience going from the MKIV to the 1DX's where I was having to increase the EV, you may have issues when you take both bodies out and remembering which way to go, hopefully short lived. Remember you will not have the options of 'Cases' as you have with the 5D.

Nice, clean image and the slight open beak showing that 'Kodak' yellow lining which adds IMHO. I might suggest you still drop the overall exposure of the image by around a third of a stop, looks a bit 'thin' IMHO, likewise perhaps tweaking the WB a fraction for a more cooler look perhaps may reflect the scene??? If you drop the yellow in Sat & Lum it takes the slight yellow out of the whites & blue of the background, just my take.
Good luck with your new toy. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
07-21-2015, 04:20 AM
Very nice shot Will, this looks well detailed to me. The whites look good, the browns look a tad lighter than I might have expected - I am not saying they are wrong but you mentioned exposure issues.
When you looked at the previews did you set the blinkies and the histogram to appear this will help to focus attention on the exposure.

adrian dancy
07-21-2015, 09:35 AM
Excellent pose with bill open. The general appearance seems to suggest you had an exposure issue but I think with care you may be able improve the general evenness in the image.

Stu Bowie
07-21-2015, 11:56 AM
Hi Will, well, you seemed to have nailed this with your new toy - congrats. I really like the overall exposure on the razorbill, and what a cool pose you managed too. I do like the pastel blue BG.

Hope you lots of fun with your new toy. Yes, different camera's need getting used to with regards to exposure. Its just a matter of experimenting - it wont take you long. :w3

Mike Poole
07-21-2015, 02:53 PM
I like the pose you have here with the balancing act on the rock. Excellent white detail, and always nice to have a little bit of a calling pose

Mike

William Dickson
07-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the comments guys :cheers:

Satish Ranadive
07-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Excellent image. Beautiful colours and great details. Nice composition.

Regards,
Satish.