PDA

View Full Version : Blue Hour at Washington Oaks

Don Lacy
07-19-2015, 09:17 PM
Washington Oaks State Park in North East Florida is well known to photographers for its large exposed Coquina rock formations and is an area I have been wanting to get to but since its three hours away and have a perfectly nice beach about three minutes from my front door its taken a while to get up there. I finally made the trip this weekend and it is worth every minute of the three hour drive can not wait to get back up there during a high tide. This was also my first trip with my new Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens that I got on Amazon during one of their sales for 270.00 I bought it to get into nightscapes and Milky Way images which is a whole new adventure and challenge.

Canon 6D, 20s at f/2.8 for the foreground and blue areas of the sky and 6s for the bright area of pre dawn light, ISO 3200, hand blended using luminosity mask.

dankearl
07-19-2015, 09:44 PM
Very nicely done...
You will love the Rokinon, you will end up using it for a lot more than night photos.
I don't know if you downloaded and used the lens correction, but you have a tiny bit of fisheye horizon you can correct.

Diane Miller
07-20-2015, 10:00 PM
Oh. My. God. This is incredible!!!

How is that lens in the corners with stars?

Don Lacy
07-20-2015, 10:56 PM
Oh. My. God. This is incredible!!!

How is that lens in the corners with stars?
very little coma but as you can see a lot of vignetting that i left on this image. It also has very good mtf numbers for corners and excellent numbers for center sharpnes. The two draw backs are manual focusing and aperture once I got the proper hyper focus numbers online I have gotten nice sharp images without messing around trying to manually focus using live view I just set the focus ring to the correct distance for my given aperture and compose.

Don Railton
07-20-2015, 11:13 PM
What a brilliant sky Don.. it's superb..! i would straighten the bend in the horizon Dan is talking about and the Fg is just a little too dark for me..

Don

Grady Weed
07-21-2015, 10:33 AM
I disagree Don, politely of course...I love the FG and the slight contrast with the BG. Superb sky, dark hues of blue gives this a big kick! Love the little sparkles.

Don Lacy
07-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks everyone for you comments. When this image was taken it was about an hour and fifteen minutes before sunrise it wasn't even twilight yet and I had to use a flashlight to compose the rocks in the frame the sky was still so dark that I was not even aware of the clouds nor did I see any color in the sky. So you can imagine my surprise and joy when I looked at the LCD and saw all the elements for the first time.

Wendy Kates
07-22-2015, 10:10 PM
Wow...this is breathtaking. The technique you've developed with the luminosity mask and blended images is super effective.

Andrew McLachlan
07-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Hi Don...one of your best images...I love it and the softness of the foreground is beautiful...looking forward to seeing more images with this lens.

Rachel Hollander
08-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Hi Don - Really beautiful image. All the elements came together nicely. Tones and colors work as well. Congrats on the new lens.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
08-04-2015, 03:51 PM
This is really splendid, Don - simplistic and beautiful.
Ditto on that horizon :)