PDA

View Full Version : Fly on the edge

Mitch Carucci
07-18-2015, 06:41 PM
Simplify used on the background. Short focus stack on the fly.

Nancy Bell
07-18-2015, 10:12 PM
This is great! I love macro photography like this! How did you get that fly to stay put long enough to do a focus stack? The all green bkgd is awesome with the narrow DOF & soft swaths of color. Great details and very cool colors on the fly. Nice touch with that one leg just over the edge of the leaf. I like the unusual placement of the fly looking out of the frame. It continues the line of the main view in the leaf.

Diane Miller
07-19-2015, 12:56 AM
What Nancy said -- just wonderful! You must have composited the fly -- I can't see how to Simplify just the BG and leave the fly so sharp, but there are a lot of settings in Simplify (and all the other Topaz stuff) that I've never figured out.

Paul Lagasi
07-19-2015, 05:37 PM
Great detail on the fly, love the title, good work Mitch.

Mitch Carucci
07-19-2015, 07:16 PM
Not very good technique, but I held the shutter down and swept the focus. If the shutter speed is high enough, you can stack the photos later.

Mitch Carucci
07-19-2015, 07:17 PM
I should have mentioned that I masked the fly and only applied simplify to the background.

Dennis Bishop
07-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Not very good technique, but I held the shutter down and swept the focus. If the shutter speed is high enough, you can stack the photos later.

Very inventive technique, Mitch. And -- given the results -- I think it is a very good one.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Great stacking and colours on the fly. I like all the negative space too.

Cheryl Slechta
07-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Hi, Mitch, sorry I'm late and I think it's all been said above. I like your stacking technique - I'll have to give it a try.:S3: