PDA

View Full Version : Black Crake on a Hippo Pod

Morkel Erasmus
07-16-2015, 10:16 PM
Perhaps time for me to post a bird photo again! :bg3:
Sometimes, while waiting for a specific photographic moment to snap, the real moment creeps up and surprises you. Instead of getting a hippo to yawn, I got a Black Crake (rarely seen out of the reeds) walking on top of the hippos and picking off parasites from their hides.

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f7.1 | 1/500 SS | ISO-800

Ian Wilson
07-17-2015, 02:11 AM
Wonderful capture Morkel. You should forget about the easy stuff and take more bird photos! Seriously though, this is a cracker image, lovely light on the water, typical pose of the bird but on a most interesting substrate. Well done sir. Regards, Ian.

Stu Bowie
07-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Hi Mork, a truly unique capture here. The Crake has given you a super angle, raised foot, as it feeds, well exposed, and just love the colourful distant BG. I do like the scratch marks on the Hippo's hide, Well captured.

Karen Pleasant
07-17-2015, 02:42 PM
A very unique image, Morkel! The composition is strong with the DOF and focus point leading the viewer right to the bird. The bird's position on the back of the hippo makes for a very interesting scene. And the bird in mid-step gives a sense of motion/activity to the image.

Karl Egressy
07-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Super unique image of a super shy bird, Morkel.

William Dickson
07-18-2015, 02:49 PM
So different and refreshing :S3: Yes, a lovely looking frame Nice capture Morkel

Will