PDA

View Full Version : Lioness at Night

Katie Rupp
07-16-2015, 07:56 PM
A spot-lighted image from Sabi Sabi. C&C greatly encouraged and appreciated.

7DII, 100-400II @120, F4.5, 1/250, ISO 2500, vertical crop from horizontal, Silver Efex Pro2

Rachel Hollander
07-17-2015, 08:26 PM
Hi Katie - It's always fun to experiment with spot-lit images. I like the walking pose and the vertical comp though I think it needs some cw rotation. If it were mine I would go lighter on the toning and I would also bring the highlights up a bit more but in varying degrees (opacity) on the chest, mouth and eyes. Something along these lines though I did not adjust the toning. You should be able to correct the rotation and have a bit more room from the original horizontal image. WDYT?

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
07-18-2015, 03:05 AM
Hi Katie -- Very nicely done ! I like these sort of images ! agree with Rachel on highlighting and rotation . i also feel it lacks sharpness on the face ! TFS !

Shawn Zierman
07-18-2015, 09:46 AM
I like the edge to this image. The lion has this energy....it could be used for destruction or investigation or play....just not sure, but I like it.....hungry look in those eyes. The lighting lends itself nicely to the way I'm perceiving the image. Very well done. Prefer the darker feel and look of the OP.

Karen Pleasant
07-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Hi, Katie! I really like the creative approach you took to this image! Very edgy and not the typical shot! I do like Rachel's suggestions.....

I will be at Sabi Sabi in early September....my first visit to SA. wooHOOO!

William Dickson
07-18-2015, 11:40 AM
Lovely image Katie. Very artistic and different. Like this a lot. Good work

Will

Katie Rupp
07-18-2015, 01:18 PM
Hi Katie - It's always fun to experiment with spot-lit images. I like the walking pose and the vertical comp though I think it needs some cw rotation. If it were mine I would go lighter on the toning and I would also bring the highlights up a bit more but in varying degrees (opacity) on the chest, mouth and eyes. Something along these lines though I did not adjust the toning. You should be able to correct the rotation and have a bit more room from the original horizontal image. WDYT?

TFS,
Rachel

Thanks for the rp and suggestions, Rachel. I went back and did a rotation and left a little more light on her face and chest; I'm thinking somewhere in between might be even better as I like that "emerging from the dark" feeling...

Appreciate the input!
Katie

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
07-18-2015, 01:40 PM
Very interesting image Katie. Nice thinking and execution. I like the RP of yours.

Morkel Erasmus
07-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Hi Katie
Nice dark mood in this one. You've received some great suggestions up above. Your last repost is best for me - though it does seem your focal plane was more on her paws and the head is a tad OOF...so tough in these situations with limited light, shutter speed and moving subjects.