PDA

View Full Version : Snipe.

keith mitchell
07-16-2015, 02:34 AM
Nikon D4
Nikon 300mm 2.8
1/1600@f8
iso 1000.

Thanks for looking and your comments on my Little Owl much appreciated.

Steve Kaluski
07-16-2015, 06:18 AM
Hi Keith, personally I prefer your previous image in terms of the PP, it was much better, this for me is just too contrasty in the Black/Shadows, if you eased off on these with a couple of tweaks elsewhere, more detail & form starts to show, I think perhaps you darkened it and not through the exposure route???? More light & detail then also comes through in the eye which is cool. In addition, if you drop the Blue in Saturation perhaps 60-75 you loose the colouring in the bottom part of the post. A bit techy I know Keith, but you have asked for some pointers, LOL, we will get there, likewise the quick removal of the blades of grass too :bg3:.

On a serious note, I do like your Snipes and you are very fortunate to capture these images, if this is recent great, good to see you pushing on the techs, still think 1/2000 would not have hurt. I also like the BKG, with the nice hues & tones in it, gently breaks it up. Nice HA and beak.

Keith if convenient, we could talk tomorrow, thereafter it gets a bit hectic on the diary front, plus starting to pack for another trip to colder climates too. just let me know, as it's easier to talk than to right reams of words to make the slight changes etc.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
07-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Nice shot but contrast looks high to me, the subject looks almost cut out and placed in front of the background. Having said that you have a good shot with lots of detail.

keith mitchell
07-17-2015, 03:36 AM
Thanks Steve and Jon, Steve if you have a minute to talk that would be good, must admit have looked long and hard and cannot see any problems with the colour of the post and the bits of grass do not bother me, think some of the Snipe I have posted before could do with a bit more body this is what I have tried to achieve with this one. Jon don't think I have done anything different with the processing " almost cut out and placed in front of the background "so a bit puzzled.

Keith.

Jonathan Ashton
07-17-2015, 03:48 AM
Keith I suppose I was really saying that the bird is really punchy if that makes sense and it contrasts strongly with the background to the extent that it looks as if it was put on a background. Did you by any chance select the bird only and then increase contrast on the bird??

Steve Kaluski
07-17-2015, 03:54 AM
Keith, it could be the sharpness/contrast/punchiness combination, juxtapose to the BKG if you added any NR, it can create the effect Jon is referring to.

Drop me a line when to call, but remember to fire up 'whopper' and have the image to hand before I call, hope we can make some headway for you. :S3:

Cheers
Steve

keith mitchell
07-17-2015, 07:04 AM
Jonathan this is interesting no selection and no NR ,Think when I did this I might have had Marina's comment on my last Snipe on my mind"I do believe you have a # of snipe images which are stronger than this one though " thinking about it I might have dropped the gamma a tad and a little red increase ,think I will leave well enough alone next time, or maybe repost this.

Thanks Keith.

Karl Egressy
07-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Nice image, Keith. Love the pose, background and raggedy perch.

Bill Dix
07-17-2015, 04:19 PM
Another handsome Snipe frame, IMHO. I can see the contrast that others are pointing out, but the image has a nice punch, good pose and lovely background. I would love to have this in my files. (I would remove the grasses if mine.)

christopher galeski
07-18-2015, 05:20 AM
very nice Keith,nice perch and pose,good BG,if mine I think I would remove the 3 grasses,sharp with nice detail.TFS.

keith mitchell
07-18-2015, 06:31 AM
Thanks Karl appreciated, Chris did look into removing the grasses then decided to leave well alone but do take your point thanks, Thanks for your input Bill much appreciated.

Keith.