PDA

View Full Version : Limpkin

Joseph Przybyla
07-14-2015, 06:42 PM
I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. As Dottie and I were leaving Circle B we saw this Limpkin about 10 to 15 feet to our left standing next to a small pool of water. The bird was standing on gravel and to capture the bird full body would have been shooting at a downward angle making the background less than desirable. I got as low as possible to capture a portrait using the pale green Duck Weed on the surface of the pool of water and brown dead vegetation as a background. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm (600mm FFE)
1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering + 2/3 EV ISO 720 AWB, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom 6 and Photoshop Elements 10
Cropped for composition

Ian Wilson
07-14-2015, 07:04 PM
Excellent portrait Joe. I like the way the bird's eye leads the viewer to look down the bill to the point of preening. Just a few minor selection artifacts that can be easily fixed. Regards, Ian.

Joseph Przybyla
07-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Hello Ian, thank you for viewing and commenting. After you noticing and commenting on the selection artifacts they are obvious to me. I have already corrected them. Guess my old eyes were tired when I finished working up the image. To have another one or more set or eyes looking at am image is one of the best benefits of this forum. Thanks again I appreciate your time and effort. Be safe and well...

Satish Ranadive
07-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Excellent portrait.

Regards,
Satish.

keith mitchell
07-15-2015, 05:49 AM
The repost looks spot on! Joe, fine detail and sharpness on the beak.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2015, 01:45 PM
Hey Joe, the RP is better, but the plumage looks a tad off to the right of the beak and below, it's looks a little harsh compare to the bottom LHS. As it's on the same plane of focus I thought it might be similar, if you know what I mean :S3:??? PP is certainly improving, nice detail in the bill.

TFS
Steve

Joseph Przybyla
07-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Hey Joe, the RP is better, but the plumage looks a tad off to the right of the beak and below, it's looks a little harsh compare to the bottom LHS. As it's on the same plane of focus I thought it might be similar, if you know what I mean :S3:??? PP is certainly improving, nice detail in the bill.

TFS
Steve

Hey (a Florida expression) Steve, the bottom LHS is not on the same focal plane as the plumage to the right of the beak. The active focus point at the time of capture was on the birds eye. The bird was angled slightly away from me and looking back towards me. Looking at the data the focus distance was 7.94m, the depth of field was 0.08m (3.15 inches). The feathers of the bird in the bottom LHS is in the area of soft focus, I think that is what you are seeing. Thank you for the compliment regarding post processing, since our past interactions I have been paying more attention to what the data in the image can provide. Amazing what is contained there. Thanks again, hoping all is well.

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2015, 03:26 PM
Cheers Joe, that's fine, I understand.

Thank you for the compliment regarding post processing, since our past interactions I have been paying more attention to what the data in the image can provide. Amazing what is contained there.

Good to know things are working out and taking little steps with full understanding starts to pay off as you can see. As the changes are 'non-destructive' I think you can afford to be inquisitive and learn relatively quickly. :w3

William Dickson
07-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Hi Joe, splendid image, really love the detail on the bird,especially the bill. it looks so good. Fab capture. :S3:

Will

Daniel Cadieux
07-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Hey (a Canadian expression too!) Joe, not much to add, but I want to say well done on observing the background before depressing the shutter. This shows that you are thinking about what you want to achieve with the scene presented to you and planning accordingly.

Joseph Przybyla
07-16-2015, 03:14 PM
Thanks everyone for viewing, and commenting, very much appreciated.