PDA

View Full Version : Theme Coyote

Rachel Hollander
07-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Keeping with the snow and water for the theme. Another image taken this winter in Yellowstone National Park with Dale. A coyote hunting along the Madison River late afternoon, not far from where we saw the bobcat. I think this image again shows how low the snowfall was at that time. I also purposely did not want to bring out a lot of detail in the snow. Some may prefer more.

Canon 7D2
100-400 II @ 400mm
1/1000
f5.6
ISO 800
HH, cropped for comp, levels, curves, luminosity mask, selective color adjustments, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
07-13-2015, 10:32 PM
Beautiful scene Rachel. I like the placement of the coyote in the frame and the environs. I am ok with the detail in snow. Nicely seen and photographed.

Morkel Erasmus
07-13-2015, 11:05 PM
I really like this one, Rachel.
Great lines/layers, placement of elements, and exposure/snow detail for me is spot on.

Katie Rupp
07-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Hi Rachel,

I can't stop looking at this. I love the browns against all that white, the layers of the grasses, the wonderful detail in the coyote and the juxtaposition of the large riverbank and the coyote...so interesting.

haseeb badar
07-14-2015, 04:05 AM
Hi Rachel -- Best for this month so far !! I also cant stop looking at this ! very nicely done as always !! TFS

Rachel Hollander
07-14-2015, 04:57 AM
Thanks Sanjeev, Morkel, Katie and Haseeb. I'm glad you all like this one.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Hi Rachel, nice environment image, surprised how the DoF tails off so quickly looking at the riverbank. Just a thought, I might loose say half an inch of the top, just where the line in the snow starts.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
07-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Hi Rachel nice work on exposure , detail and tones . I also like the placement of the subject and the dead grass breaking the snow layer , giving a bit diversity to the frame .
But i am not sure of the dark patch of river /river bank , i do find it a bit too dominant in the frame , but there is normal solution to solve that , so i say it is just a minor thing .

TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
07-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Dearest Rachel,

Among the many thoughts I had when opening the thumbnail of this rather evocative image, there was this particular one that said " I feel despair to be home right now". Sometimes one finds it difficult to describe to others what happens inside of oneself, but in this case I really want to explain, if only briefly: seeing this vast space filled with snow I experienced a longing to be somewhere else - to be more precise, a place with wild animals and not many people. The sight of this solitary coyote shook me from my late afternoon lethargy and made me think that I have to find a way to travel more to remote places, away from traffic and streets, away from crowds, from people interrupting my path, and especially from TV and the evening news.

I find this frame very refreshing, not sure whether the infinite whiteness of the snow has something to do with it, or perhaps the subject - who seems to look around as if he has never been there before - made me somewhat envious of his independence and exploration. My attention is jealously focused on the coyote and I guess this was your intention, less detail on the snow helped a great deal - so good thinking Rachel:)

Regarding techs, I shall not repeat what has already been said - all spot on IMO. I like your thoughtfulness in terms of processing and I truly enjoyed being moved - quite an experience and I thank you, Rachel.

Warmest regards,

Andre Pretorius
07-22-2015, 12:32 PM
Hi Rachel

Agree with Steve with a little of the top.
To me this coyote looks almost "lost" in this wide white wilderness.
The placement of the subject in the frame works- the banks do distract a bit, but my eyes go back to subject, placing him in his environment.

Rachel Hollander
07-22-2015, 06:25 PM
Thanks Steve, Andreas, Gabriela and Andre. I very much appreciate the comments and suggestions.