07-12-2015, 11:16 PM
EOS 7D II
100-400 II
1/640
f/7.1
ISO 400

Steve Kaluski
07-13-2015, 04:33 AM
Hi Sanjeev, compared to other portraits you have posted, personally I find this not as exciting, sorry. I think it's because there's nothing to engage the viewer with, but that's just my take, others I hope with add their thoughts too and chime in.

Without seeing the histogram, I do get the impression there were some highlights that you have tried to recover, perhaps -0.33 may have help rather than zero??? I'm still on the laptop and therefore not ideal, but adding a Luminosity Blend Adjustment I think helps and brings out more depth/detail to the image, what % and areas you choose to select is personal choice, but if you have time it might be worth exploring?

Techs look OK, but again with the advancement of camera bodies & technology your SS should be higher min 1/1600 here I feel, I can only pass on stuff I'm told/advised and it works IMHO, increasing your ISO isn't a problem these days so don't be afraid to do so and if you do have some noise you can easily deal with this in PP. :w3

TFS
Steve

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
07-13-2015, 05:15 AM
Hi Steve, agree this is not 'up' there with my other posts recently. Posted this for variety :-) Didn't want the poor hyena left out. I thought the head angle and eye contact was good so posted it. He was too close to us and I was struggling with a good angle and ultimately had to shoot down on him. Agree on the exposure and SS. Thanks for your feedback. Really appreciate!

Steve Kaluski
07-13-2015, 05:21 AM
I think your right Sanjeev and I'm trying to be honest. I'll try and post 'remotely' something to keep your post company. :w3
Seems the clock is ticking to gain more experience under you belt before next year, it will be interesting to see the images, LOL. :cheers:

All the best
Steve

Rachel Hollander
07-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Hi Sanjeev - It's always nice to have some diversity on the forum. It's a nice simple portrait and looks like you had some harsher light as well as it getting close to cause the shooting angle. The dof works nicely to have the entire head in focus. Steve's suggestions about exp, ss and taming the highlights are all good ones.

TFS,
Rachel

Katie Rupp
07-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Hi Sanjeev,

Thanks for posting this which prompted Steve's comments. I have that same combination (7DII & 100-400II) and I really, really like it but I think I'm too cautious with the ISO so I'll give being more aggressive a try. Anyway, I'm wondering if you might like your Hyena better in portrait mode, putting the emphasis on the face?

Morkel Erasmus
07-14-2015, 06:34 AM
I have to agree with Steve here, Doc.
I noted the recovered highlights as well - but overall it's just not very engaging. Perhaps the expression in the eyes, the tightness on the RHS?