PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Hippo in the Morning

Katie Rupp
07-12-2015, 05:18 PM
It was a heavy misting morning and we were hoping to get backlit images of Hippos snorting but that didn't pan out. The hippos were on the top of a dam of sorts which provided this POV and as the mist/fog lifted the shore came into view and I found this one with some separation from the rest of the pod. Kruger Park; Canon 7DmII, 100-400 II @400, F6.3, 1/1250, ISO800 C&C encouraged and greatly appreciated!

Cheers and Thanks,

Katie

Rachel Hollander
07-12-2015, 05:57 PM
Hi Katie - You did a nice job with the side lighting and the colors look good. I like the low pov and the sort of impressionist bg. Looks like he's in an infinity pool. The only thing I don't love are the grey and blue bands of water at the bottom but I think you need the room at the bottom so can't remove them. Maybe cropping the blue out still gives you enough. Let's see what others say.

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
07-13-2015, 02:00 AM
Hi Katie, great low POV, nice look at the snout and those eyes and ears.

Steve Kaluski
07-13-2015, 04:18 AM
Hi Katie, I quite like the overall composition and having the mountains in the BKG gives the image some depth. It's a little tight perhaps to the LHS and so if this is cropped I might personally prefer a little more space added here. I do like the low POV, it's always nice and I quite like the strata of blue water. I feel you needed more DoF, but then your SS would have been compromised, however leaving the DoF as is, I think more SS would have help here, not sure if this was from a boat, HH, supported... but 1/2000 I feel would have provided a 'crisper' image. In this instance, like Dans Beaver, I would run some NR over the water to smooth it out, looks a bit grainy, was the image lightened at all in PP???

TFS
Steve

haseeb badar
07-13-2015, 06:41 AM
Hi Katie -- You have got an incredible POV ! i loved this image , lovely light . noise is quite evident though which could be easily fixed ! TFS

Morkel Erasmus
07-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Hey Katie - good to see you posting after your extended time in Southern Africa!
I really love this - the angle, the light, the BG :cheers:
Let's see some more, eh...

Katie Rupp
07-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Hi Katie, I quite like the overall composition and having the mountains in the BKG gives the image some depth. It's a little tight perhaps to the LHS and so if this is cropped I might personally prefer a little more space added here. I do like the low POV, it's always nice and I quite like the strata of blue water. I feel you needed more DoF, but then your SS would have been compromised, however leaving the DoF as is, I think more SS would have help here, not sure if this was from a boat, HH, supported... but 1/2000 I feel would have provided a 'crisper' image. In this instance, like Dans Beaver, I would run some NR over the water to smooth it out, looks a bit grainy, was the image lightened at all in PP???

TFS
Steve

Thanks, Steve for the comments and questions as I'm always interested in ideas and suggestions. It is a crop so I could include more on the left; this was hand-held and I was standing out on some wet rocks for a long time so a higher SS may have been needed. No lightening in PP and lately I have been conscious of over-sharpening images when processing so didn't add much to this. Thanks again.