PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly Nymph

Steve Maxson
07-12-2015, 10:38 AM
An early instar of one of the Darner dragonflies (Family Aeschnidae). This is an unusual color pattern that I'm guessing changes as the nymph molts and grows larger as I have not seen this patterning on larger nymphs. Also note the whitish protozoan colonies attached to the back of the head and the top of the thorax. 2.5 gal aquarium setup, 1D IV, 100 mm macro, 1/125, f/16, ISO 320, 2 radio-triggered 430EX flashes (diffused), tripod, live-view manual focus. I removed some of the floating bits of debris in the water and ran NR on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Allen Sparks
07-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Hi Steve,
I'm always amazed at your images of these nymphs. Quite fascinating to me. Tones, lighting, and details are outstanding. I like the aquatic vegetation shown as displaying the habitat even though some may find it a bit busy. Very well done.

Allen

Diane Miller
07-14-2015, 11:49 AM
These aquarium shots are beautiful, with wonderful lighting and great subjects! This one is fascinating -- I feel like I'm right there, probably holding a loupe up to the glass.

Jonathan Ashton
07-22-2015, 09:57 AM
A fine shot Steve wonderful lighting and exposure.

Steve Maxson
07-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Thanks Allen, Diane, and Jon for the comments - much appreciated! :S3: