PDA

View Full Version : Lone Rock

Don Lacy
07-11-2015, 09:32 PM
This Coquina formation has always caught my attention and this morning I had the right tide and sky to try a comp I have been pre visualizing for months.

Canon 6D, 16-35 at 17mm, f/16 at 25s for the foreground image, f/16 at 6s for the sky, manual mode, evaluative metered, ISO 200, Two image blend in PS and optimized using luminosity mask.

Diane Miller
07-12-2015, 12:01 PM
This is incredible! I love the composition of the rock, and this is one of the best skies I've ever seen! My eye is drawn to the dark line at the top edge of the water -- what would you think about softening the edge of it, so it's just a little more feathered into the lighter water?

Other than that, my only intelligent suggestion is to make a very large print on aluminum!!

Don Railton
07-12-2015, 11:26 PM
Very Don Lacy....Very Nice..! that sky is wonderful Don. I agree with Diane that the dark fringe just below the horizon could be softened just a little, and i might also suggest the water around the lower part of the rock is a little too dark for me. Maybe its by choice?? I think it should be either slightly better defined against the water, or slightly less defined so the rock completely blends in with the dark LRH corner with the rock just appearing from the darkness...

DON

Lorant Voros
07-13-2015, 11:35 AM
I am not really a landscape photographer, so hard to comment on the technical aspect. However, I love the composition, the beautiful sunrise, the feel of the water and the rock .

Andrew McLachlan
07-14-2015, 07:13 PM
Hi Don, executed perfectly in all aspects of the composition!!!

peter delaney
07-16-2015, 04:25 PM
wow...I really like this a lot...

I always find it difficult to find the right subject with the right clouds, colours, coming together. But you have all the wonderful elements coming together to make a special Photograph.

Big Well done

Morkel Erasmus
07-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Indeed a special shot, Don!!
Personal taste, but I might boost local/midtone contrast just a tad if it were mine??

Don Lacy
07-17-2015, 06:13 AM
Indeed a special shot, Don!!
Personal taste, but I might boost local/midtone contrast just a tad if it were mine??
thanks everyone for your comments this image has become one of my personal favorites
Morkel, I left this image on my computer for a few days and ended up adding just a tad more contrast and mid tone brightness will post that version when I get back from a weekend trip.