PDA

View Full Version : Like a Flame

Gabriela Plesea
07-11-2015, 03:07 PM
The Caracal is indeed like a flame...A large bundle of red fur, and cute as only a cat can be...yet strong enough to kill a young impala calf or anything of similar size. She even chases warthogs, I hope I will be able to share with you more images of this caracal at some stage, for now just a few frames showing the agility of the species and I hope you will enjoy this:)

Solitary and territorial, the caracal forages alone, it is a very special sighting if one comes across a female in the company of its young and I have not had this opportunity yet. This is perhaps one of the most agile cats and a wonderful skilled climber, not to forget those amazing vertical jumps I was once so fortunate to witness and photograph. The caracal is able to catch birds in the air - it is said that from a crouched position they can jump over 3m high! Like most cats, they always land on their feet... They are mainly nocturnal and feed on birds, mice, but also reptiles.

I apologise profusely for being absent in this Forum for some time, those of you who have been so kind to participate surely realise it takes a bit of time to process a number of images:) My partner's little ones are here for the holidays (just arrived from the Cape), and at work things have been rather hectic lately...But I am always around, lurking between Wildlife, Avian and Story Sequences...

Hope you have an awesome, fun, productive week-end...we are off to one of the local Game Reserves tomorrow early morning, hopefully some special sightings:S3:

Warmest regards,

Marina Scarr
07-12-2015, 06:09 PM
Great looking cat and sequence. The 3rd frame is my favorite!

Gabriela Plesea
07-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Thank you Marina!

So kind of you to look and comment - really appreciate it. I will be back with more:)

Have a wonderful week ahead,

Warmest regards,

Karen Pleasant
07-13-2015, 03:10 PM
I am so very impressed with this sequence! Stunning work! Indeed, #3 is the cat's meow :bg3: ....but the whole sequence is even better! Impressive (yea, I know I already used that adjective!) focusing control and tracking. Each image reveals a slice of the scene in focus with foreground and background nicely blurred.

I look forward to more stories from you!

Rachel Hollander
07-13-2015, 07:36 PM
Hi Gabriela - I didn't see that you had posted this. What a great sequence! Is this your friend or is this one out in the bush?

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
07-14-2015, 03:15 PM
Thank you Karen and Rachel:S3:

Just replying briefly, load shedding has begun a few minutes ago...also, I am cooking dinner for tomorrow (10 people, LOL).

I would like to thank you for viewing and those very kind comments, glad you enjoyed those few images!

Rachel, this is Lumi... Frames taken some time ago, all from a folder that has almost 1000 images...I have two shots of her chasing warthogs, just not enough to make up a sequence:)

Hope you have a wonderful evening, here dark and cold - winter has arrived...Will be back with more images soon...

Warmest regards,

Diane Miller
07-17-2015, 03:49 PM
WOW -- these are incredible! Amazing focus tracking with great compositions, and what a gorgeous animal!! I love cats!

Gabriela Plesea
07-20-2015, 12:29 PM
Thank you Diane,

Indeed this is one sweet cat, and quite a beauty - so glad you like her, I am afraid those images do not give her justice but I had to share:) Here's one of her chasing warthogs!!!

Kind regards,