PDA

View Full Version : Who You Calling a Tyrant?

Bill Dix
07-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Another view of the aptly-named Many-colored Rush Tyrant, a member of the large family of Tyrant Flycatchers, most of which are dull-plumaged. This one nests in stands of Scirpus, a type of bulrush that grows in coastal and lakeside marshes in select areas of South America. Audio used here.

D7200, 500f4, ISO 1600, 1/640s @ f/6.3 manual, monopod.

Karl Egressy
07-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Nice head on shot with nice colors and details, Bill.

Steve Kaluski
07-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Hi Bill, love the over comp and the image really works with the subject being offset to the left, I also like the head on POV and the way the 'perch' slowly tapers towards the RHS.

I can't say for sure as I'm away, but adding a Luminosity adjustment with a blend mode really brings more depth & tone to the image and I think works well, especially with the slight 'graphic' backdrop/environment (love this too). Cropping in a fraction on the sides so the perch tapers into the corner and left edge ends on the darker green rather than light does help, albeit subtle. Is there any more image content below so the crop could drop?

Really like this.

TFS
Steve

Daniel Cadieux
07-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Ha ha, this is a huge smile maker for sure!! I love the attitude of the little guy, and the framing of the triangle behind the head is bonus...was that a deliberate alignment on your part, or just luck of the draw? Either way its pretty cool. I can't help but think a bit more saturation could help here. Super nice:S3:

christopher galeski
07-12-2015, 02:49 AM
nice image Bill of a good looking bird,love the colors of the bird,BG shows the bird off well.TFS.

Geoffrey Montagu
07-12-2015, 12:28 PM
Put a smile on my face. Another great display of the varied markings and colors of these beauties. Nice detail and BG.

Geoffrey

Andreas Liedmann
07-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Hi Bill i really like this one , the comp , the subject , colors and the very pleasing BG .
I am with Steve regarding the tones :wave:, but i would like to add that i would try to temper the blacks fraction they do look a bit too solid , but gently only .

A very nice frame with a nice subject , well done.

TFS Andreas

Bill Dix
07-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone.

Steve, when I first processed this, I had a tighter crop. But after looking at it, I redid it with some more space around him, which I liked better. It may be that you're talking about a more subtle difference, somewhere between my first attempt and the one posted. I'll go back and look for possible tweaks, but in this repost I left it as it was. I did, however, add 15 points of Vibrance and 3 points of Saturation, which does make him pop more.

Daniel, this little guy was popping in and out of the rushes, and only gave us a few unobstructed looks, for a few seconds each time. It was enough of a challenge just to get the lens on him before he disappeared back into the marsh. Although I was conscious of the fact that it was a lovely marsh, getting that triangle was pure luck that I didn't notice until I had it up on the computer.

[edit] Andreas, I didn't see your comments until after I had posted this version. The blacks look ok to me, but I'll take another look.

Steve Kaluski
07-12-2015, 02:02 PM
I liked better. It may be that you're talking about a more subtle difference,

Hi Bill, yes 'subtle' indeed, will have a look when I'm back home next week, but I don't think the blacks are choked, the histogram looks fine, albeit a minute highlight if we were to be very picky LOL. Daniel nailed the reference about the triangle, great spot and overall design of the comp, well scene. :w3 BTW is there more below???

Bill Dix
07-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Steve, there was more room below in the original RAW file. But I did some rotation and a rough crop to create a working file from which I removed some pink blades that were distracting in the BG. There isn't any room below in the rough crop.

Steve Kaluski
07-12-2015, 02:54 PM
OK Bill, no worries.

But I did some rotation and a rough crop to create a working file from

Bill, I might be tempted to suggest you work on the original file (as the 'working file'), then Save, then crop and Save As. If you ever decide to change things, or amend etc, then unless you keep a record of your actions in terms of developing the image it's hard to remember all and you may find at a later date you can't recreate the same look & feel to the image, just a though.