PDA

View Full Version : Theme Polar Bear

Rachel Hollander
07-10-2015, 08:37 AM
I thought I would add to the diversity of the posts and also post an image for this month's theme - with the bear sitting on ice, the sea behind and falling snow. Taken on my 2013 trip to Svalbard, Norway but processed recently.

Canon 5D3
300 II plus 2x III
1/1600
f5.3
ISO 1600
Monopod from moving boat, cropped about 30%, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Mike Poole
07-10-2015, 09:02 AM
What a stunning creature - even lying down and looking relaxed he oozes power - look at the size of those paws!

I like the fact you've left some blue in the ice, keeps it looking natural rather than try and go for a pure white look. A place I'd love to go to one day, must do the lottery tonight

Mike

Rachel Hollander
07-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Thanks Mike, I believe the water is a bit cold for diving though. You would definitely need a dry suit:bg3: and eyes in the back of your head.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Stu Bowie
07-11-2015, 12:58 AM
Hi Rachel, lovely eye contact here, and he looks pretty relaxed. I like the detail on the Polar Bear's fur, as well as the colour. Im glad you managed to get all of the bear against the ice BG. Ive always enjoyed your images from this trip of yours - a huge contrast to your Africa trips, both in temperature and landscapes.:w3

Giovanni Frescura
07-11-2015, 05:34 AM
i Rachel
for me the shoot is ok.
No problem for the sea under the beat.
Could be nice stay less in the middle , so you could cut a bit on the left side also becouse the place with water is cutted yet
Gio

Steve Kaluski
07-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Hi Rachel, one of your best, love the pose and the raised head, he knows you were there, sniffing the air. Nice to have the contrast between ice pack and water, with good detail and clarity for f/5.3, I think you meant 6.3 :bg3:.

BTW Rachel, just over two weeks before flying out for these guys again, prefer to have been later, but an offer I could not refuse, but you know me and Bears!!! Stu, in Svalbard it's not cold compared to Churchill, I think you would find the temperatures not to too far off to what you have experienced in SA in the Winter months.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
07-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Thanks Stu, Gio and Steve. Yes, I meant f6.3. It's not really the ambient temp that is cold, it's when the boat is moving at a decent clip that it gets cold being outside looking for bears. Steve - I knew you were wanting another shot at these giants with your newer gear and technology advances. Glad you are getting it.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
07-11-2015, 07:36 AM
Yep, back on the same boat again so business as usual, just have my reservations about the sightings, however... will probably be looking at other bears for '17 as we both have things mapped out for '16 :w3.

With the advancement of both gear & techs/PP hopefully there will be a few more keepers LOL.

I do think this subject really does command the word 'awesome' in all aspects of the word, but you know what they are like and how immense/powerful they are too.

Cheers
Steve

Daniel Cadieux
07-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Impressive and refreshing with all this heat outside today. Perfect colours, and I love the comp/crop. Neat relaxed pose. If anything I would have preferred the snow/water line not skim across the top of the head, but from a boat I realize that moving on the whim was a luxury...

Andreas Liedmann
07-12-2015, 08:43 AM
Hi Rachel a very fine and in a great way processed image :5.
Always a very interesting subject these PBīs .I like the overall soft light and very pleasing tones/colors. The cool pose makes this work nicely too, i might like to approach this cutie and cuddle him/her .... LOL!
So very well :wave:

TFS Andreas

Katie Rupp
07-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Rachel,
Love the alert pose which nicely shows the size of that tucked-in paw as compared to the head, wow. Good detail and exposure of the fur, evoking a silky, lush feeling. Would love to see this creatures in person, sometime.
Best,
Katie

Rachel Hollander
07-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks Daniel, Andreas and Katie, much appreciated as always.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
07-12-2015, 11:19 PM
Excellent image of the bear with nice pose and stare to the cam. Nicely composed as well. Colours and details are superb Rachel.

haseeb badar
07-13-2015, 05:45 AM
Hi Rachel -- already a lot has been said , and i would also agree with most of it , beautifully composed and processed ! TFS !

Morkel Erasmus
07-14-2015, 06:58 AM
A stunning image, Rachel. I really want to get to photograph these someday.
I too like that you left some blue in the ice.

Steve - have a great trip mate, hope you will still have some cracking sightings despite the timing...
:cheers:

Steve Kaluski
07-14-2015, 08:24 AM
Steve - have a great trip mate, hope you will still have some cracking sightings despite the timing...

I hope so Morkel as you could buy a nice GOLF GTI on the cost of it! However, unlike Africa, these guys roam vast areas and so trying to find a white subject on a white landscape can be rather challenging as Rachel & Anette know, sadly I doubt we will encounter 44 bears as last time, but hey, lets think positive and there could be other wildlife around. The real challenge this time is getting the gear through :Whoa!: as I won't have issues with BA, it's the Oslo - Longyearbyen where I may have to break into the wallet!!! You really should think about travelling outside of SA :S3:.

Morkel Erasmus
07-14-2015, 02:44 PM
I hope so Morkel as you could buy a nice GOLF GTI on the cost of it! However, unlike Africa, these guys roam vast areas and so trying to find a white subject on a white landscape can be rather challenging as Rachel & Anette know, sadly I doubt we will encounter 44 bears as last time, but hey, lets think positive and there could be other wildlife around. The real challenge this time is getting the gear through :Whoa!: as I won't have issues with BA, it's the Oslo - Longyearbyen where I may have to break into the wallet!!! You really should think about travelling outside of SA :S3:.

I hear you - a costly trip for sure.
I do travel outside of SA - Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Kenya :w3
Thing is I can do 6-8 weeks of safari closer to home for the cost of 6 days in the Arctic :Whoa!:

Andre Pretorius
07-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Hi Rachel

Love the power and confidence that this big bear exudes....
The different tones of whites and blues come well together, for me the comp works.

Know of a not so little girl who is in love with a print of this brute!

Rachel Hollander
07-22-2015, 06:27 PM
Thanks Sanjeev, Haseeb, Morkel and Andre. Andre - I'm glad that she likes it and that it will fit her design plans for her room. Thanks for printing it for her.

:cheers:,
Rachel