PDA

View Full Version : Basilica Orb Weaver (Mecynogea lemniscata) & web

Douglas Bolt
07-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Canon 5DM3, Sigma 150mm macro, f3.2, 1/320s, ISO 400, Cam Ranger, CC to create tif files, Helicon to stack the 71 tiff files, and back to CC to crop and sharpen.

The web of this spider is really fascinating to me. So very intricate. There are several similar webs in a Hinoki cypress shrub. The spider is about 1cm and the web about 15cm wide.

There are several places where the image has a smudged look and other areas that seem to lack data. I'm new to focus stacking, so advice would certainly be appreciated. I took the images with the Cam Ranger set to Medium. If I get another windless day, I'll try using the Small setting. The detail is much more apparent in a larger pixel image saved at much higher Quality setting.

Diane Miller
07-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Amazing! The web looks like cheesecloth. This looks like a difficult image to stack but the result was worthwhile. Hope you get chances to keep working it.

I'd consider reducing the yellows a bit, although the impact is very eye-catching.

MiroslavMaric
07-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Hi Douglas,

Very interesting web. Like the light. If mine I would try to frame the web segment (with pattern) near the spider. In UL, UR and DL corners there are visible art effects of stacking. I have no experience with your stacking tools but to take 71 frames in outdoor conditions it must be very hard job. More frames more chances that one of them is out of position due to vibrations made by air flow (than you will get more art effects). For outdoor stacking I have never used more than let say around 25 frames. Even that I tried to make 3-4 series of the frames and than check at the home which series is better. In your case you have very thin threads of the web between 2 plants. It seems 2 plants are very good receiver of air vibrations. For stacking I have used Zerene software and in most cases no need for sharpening in PP. However the best learning curve is to made the trial with few frames only, first indoor. Hope it helps. TFS.

Cheers,
Miro

Douglas Bolt
07-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Thanks, Diane and Miro.

I agree on the yellows. I cut down the luminosity of both yellows and greens and desaturated the yellows a little in CC before making the tiffs.

Good idea on the suggestion for framing. The intricate pattern is really impressive in a higher rez, larger image - even full frame. I've attached a crop with some more work on the yellows. Neither image shows the tent-like dimension of the web as well as I would like. I had the tripod extended as tall as it would go. Maybe I can find a web that is nearer to the ground. And, yes. This is a task for a very calm wind, overcast day. Also, a newly spun web would be better before insects get caught and tear it up.

Incidentally, the spider is upside down. We are looking at her side.

Diane Miller
07-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Amazing! Hope we get to see more!

MiroslavMaric
07-12-2015, 05:19 AM
RP looks better.

Cheers,
Miro