PDA

View Full Version : Date Bait #2 - Opinions Please

Marina Scarr
07-08-2015, 09:32 PM
Here is a cropped version of the same image I posted earlier this week: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/129604. I like both versions for different reasons and would very much appreciate your input/opinions on which image is your favorite and why. I simply can't decide which one I prefer b/c they are so different.

Comments & critiques welcomed and much appreciated.

Canon 1D4, Canon 500L & 1.4
F10, 1/1600sec, ISO 800, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Jobu head

dankearl
07-08-2015, 10:36 PM
I think from a birder/esthetic point of view, the first one is the best, if you want to print and sell
cards or prints, the second one is the better one...
Both very well done.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
07-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Superb image with terrific action, great light and composition. I like the catch light in both skimmers eyes and the crossing beaks!

Don Railton
07-08-2015, 11:22 PM
Hi Marina,

when i first opened this I thought "probably the first", so I went back to check. I now think i like this one more.. What this image has is a closer view and focus on the interaction and still wonderful IQ. You are fully engaged with that interaction. The original post has the shadow which is a small distraction for me, but it has the sand kick and legs which add to the photo, not from the interaction point of view but to the scene overall. So, as interaction is the hero of these images for me, then i will pick this post... But it's the difference between 'wonderful' and 'brilliant'....

DON

Joseph Przybyla
07-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Hi Marina, lovely image again. So why decide... keep both. Although I think this one shows a more intimate interaction knowing the story behind the image. Thank you for sharing.

Satish Ranadive
07-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Magnificent image. Love the frame.

Regards,
Satish.

David Salem
07-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Much stronger image IMO!! This is what the shot is all about for me. The intimate handoff between the two, the beautiful details in the feathers and their faces, the good look at the fish and the awesome texture and detail to their bills. Love it!!

Stu Bowie
07-09-2015, 11:39 AM
Hi Marina, I like how both sets of bills are forming a X, with the poor fish the victim. Lovely light and well exposed, and they both stand out against that smooth BG.

Im going for your post from the other day, as I like that we can see the feet of each Skimmer, and even a bit of sand being thrown about from the excitement.

Diane Miller
07-09-2015, 12:19 PM
A very difficult choice between the two, but I'll give this one the vote for the attention it gives the main subject, the fish handoff. The full frame feels a little too cropped, although I appreciate that there was no time to remove the TC.

Robert Kimbrell
07-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Hey Marina, #2 for me. The action here is all about the handoff. Glad the IQ held up well, it is great to see all the textures of bills, and the close feather detail. Good job getting both eyes sharp. I liked the kicked up sand it #1. as it added to the action, but I feel # 2 presents a better view of the core interaction.

arash_hazeghi
07-10-2015, 01:31 AM
I also like this one a bit better because of the stronger focus on the interaction element.

Great stuff

gail bisson
07-10-2015, 06:17 AM
I think I like #1 from a natural history perspective ( and I like the flying sand) but #2 is better for the photographer in me.
Both great images.
gail

Mike Poole
07-10-2015, 06:36 AM
tough call, like I mentioned previously, and it's taken me a few viewing to finally decide, but if it was going on my wall I'd probably go for this crop.

Probably change my mind later though!

Lets just say they both work!

keith mitchell
07-10-2015, 07:44 AM
Very difficult one Marina but this one just edges it for me.

Keith.

Lorant Voros
07-10-2015, 01:16 PM
A winner for sure. I love it.

Jack Dean III
12-10-2015, 08:53 AM
Beautiful image. :)