PDA

View Full Version : Theme Sleeping Green turtle

Mike Poole
07-08-2015, 10:23 AM

Having posted my favourites before I've dug a little deeper into my folders for one or two shots for this months theme.

This is a Green turtle having a kip at a site called 'The Caves', which is located at the rear of Kuredu Island in the Maldives. It is a breeding ground for Green turtles and you can just about guarantee a few sightings on each dive there. As the dive site name suggests, it's a series of caves, so the normal sightings are either turtles sleeping inside the caves, which you can't access for photos, or you normally see them swim past you couple of times each dive. I've done about half a dozen dives at this site, lovely place and only 15 minutes boat ride away from your 'decompression beer!'

However, this one decided to get his nap out in the open, and was more than happy for me to get up close and personal, this was within touching distance (although touching is a big no-no, as a French diver found out later on the boat - anglo-French relations were poor that day, and I think he learned a few new choice English phrases!). Shooting distance was about a foot away from the head and I left before disturbing him

Techs wise -
Canon 7d in a Subal housing
Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom set to 12mm
ISO 200
1/250th f9
2 x Inon Z240 underwater strobes

Karen Pleasant
07-08-2015, 12:08 PM
It is so very nice to see underwater photos! I have found underwater photography much more difficult than photographing on land!

Superb lighting! The subject is evenly lit and no evidence of back scatter! Well done! The DOF is just right for the turtle and the surrounding area. I never dove the Maldives, but did enjoy a week of diving in Papua New Guinea, albeit with a manual camera.

Steve Kaluski
07-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Very nice Mike, love the overall colours and the fact you have the feeling the turtle is emerging from out of the depths. I might take a a sliver off the top, but just personal tastes. Adding a Luminosity adjustment layer, plus a Midtone Curves adjustment will bring more tonal depth & detail, especially to the more brighter areas. Applying a mask will mean you can then target key areas and be specific.

Have only dived with these guys in the Galapagos a long while back, but more recently in Barbados, but snorkelling that time, such gentle creatures.

Great to see some aquatic species posted, very cool.

TFS
Steve

Raymond Barlow
07-08-2015, 03:54 PM
Really well done Mike., maybe a little bright on the head., incredible environment.

Mike Poole
07-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - any better?

Rachel Hollander
07-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Hi Mike - I'm glad you were able to go into your files and find one for the theme. I've enjoyed your underwater images and this is no exception. Nice job with the lighting and the rp takes it up a notch.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
07-14-2015, 07:24 AM
This image just rocks, Mike. Love it.
:cheers:

christopher galeski
07-15-2015, 06:40 AM
nice image Mike,love underwater shots,repost is the one,nice colors and detail,like the subject.well done.

Arthur Morris
02-08-2016, 09:35 PM
Beautiful and dramatic. The only thing that bugs me is that the right flipper is partially hidden behind that coral (???). a