LR/PS
crop - somewhat "experimental"

I liked the lighting
The perch is a "garden perch"
SW France - February 2015

C & C really appreciated

Svante Larsson
07-07-2015, 02:46 PM
Very nice image with a perfect background. I think the contrast between the sunlit face and the body in the shadow is to strong. I think you could easily fix (a large portion at least) that in Lightroom using the Highlights, Shadows and Whites rulers. Maybe also a bit of painting with the brush with different exposures could help further.

Bill Nuttall
07-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Very nice image with a perfect background. I think the contrast between the sunlit face and the body in the shadow is to strong. I think you could easily fix (a large portion at least) that in Lightroom using the Highlights, Shadows and Whites rulers. Maybe also a bit of painting with the brush with different exposures could help further.

Thanks, but

The shot was taken to illustrate the various areas of shade and light ……. that was the whole point of the image

Diane Miller
07-07-2015, 04:47 PM
Maybe so, but it just doesn't read well to me. There are images where shadow and highlight can play off one another effectively, but something isn't perfect here. I think what Svante means might be to bring more detail into both the shadows and highlights.

I like the crop. The total amount of crop from the original may have made detail less than ideal, though.

Here's a suggestion with more detail in lights and darks -- and I did a slight darkening of the left edge, to carry over the theme of dark and light into the BG.

Working on the JPEG brought up some irregularities in the BG, possibly from cloning. Easy to avoid on the master file.