PDA

View Full Version : Little owl landing

Steve Kaluski
07-06-2015, 02:44 PM
The male just about to land on the hay bale from last month. As he liked them so much I've managed to retain one which seems to be a favourite decision, as the two new owlets have been playing on it and what seems to be a way of cleaning and sharpening their beaks on the straw. They are just oh so cute, you can easily tell who is first born, LOL.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Little owl (Athene noctua) landing on hay bale
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/3200s at f/8 ISO3200
Original format: Landscape, slight crop
Processed: LRCC 2015 & PSCC 2015

Not bait or voice call recording used.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
07-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Wow this is a wonderful landing pose and I like the comp and sharpness here. Great wing spread, talons showing and intense stare! TFS.

dennis greenwood
07-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Is this a baited owl Steve ...

Steve Kaluski
07-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Is this a baited owl Steve ...

Read the intro Dennis, no.

dennis greenwood
07-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Sorry steve but I believe its a baited owl ,I have been setting up sites for years and I know a baited owl when I see one ,no little owl uses a hay bail to come in landing like that,i have seen that pose a million times and have shots and its coming in for food ,sorry but if it means I am banned from here saying this then so be it ,but I know a **** of a lot about them ,were to be honest you don't know much about them yourself but try to make out your a expert on them ,well it don't cut with me its a baited bird 100%....my opinion and I am sticking with it...they clean there beaks after eating food and they only do that in the area they have had food,just some info for you

Steve Kaluski
07-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Fine Dennis no problem with your thoughts thanks for your interest.

dennis greenwood
07-06-2015, 04:15 PM
OK Steve are you telling me 100% that there is no bait involved in attracting the owl to come in to that bail of hay, if you say no then I will take your word for it and you integrity will no longer be questioned by be,and your conscience will be 100% clear

William Dickson
07-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Love the landing pose Steve. The expression on the owl's face is priceless. Nice and sharp with lovely details. Fits well with the BG. I wished we got these owls up here, thanks for sharing.

Will

Satish Ranadive
07-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Magnificent image. Spectacular landing pose and nice composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Daniel Cadieux
07-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Pretty neat pose here, and the owl is pretty darn sharp (just like the talons eh!). I like the green part of the BG - it would have been cool had it been so all the way to the top.

Dennis, Steve has explained the situation in the making of the image and there is no reason to doubt that. It's OK to state your opinion openly but it would have been better to contact him calmly in private rather than confront him harshly like that publicly especially after he answered your initial question...

Sidharth Kodikal
07-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Love the pose and the over all setting here, Steve. Very successful image.

keith mitchell
07-07-2015, 03:06 AM
Now Steve you are showing off with this one,it's great.

Keith.

MiroslavMaric
07-07-2015, 04:49 AM
Perfect timing. Like the pose and light. Wish the top of BG would be less white. TFS.

Cheers,
Miro

Joseph Przybyla
07-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Wow... love it. What a landing pose. Lovely image, Steve. Thank you for sharing.

Steve Kaluski
07-07-2015, 08:03 AM
Thanks folks for the comments & positive feedback, both on and off-line. :wave:

I wished we got these owls up here, thanks for sharing.

Will, but you have those lovely Sea Eagles, happy to swop or trade a week. :w3

Agree Dan about the BKG, sadly the hedgerow is not that high and on the day, no nice blue sky, plus I'm fixed on the apertures in the blind. Can be challenging I've found when you shoot against 'contrasty' backdrops to avoid the 'hunting' and keep tracking on course.

Just nice to keep pushing things more and to step out of the comfort zone.

Bill Dix
07-07-2015, 08:43 AM
Fabulous landing pose -- couldn't be better. It's important to keep the hay bale to show his target; but because it is OOF, I think I would have preferred seeing it occupy a bit less of the overall frame. Maybe a tighter crop?

Jonathan Ashton
07-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Wonderful shot Steve and I like the natural background.

David Salem
07-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Nice looking incoming pose Steve and I like the outstretched feet as he comes in for a touchdown. Good job with the techs considering the high ISO you were shooting. Not sure if f8 was needed at this distance but you managed to keep the image clean so well done in that department.
I like to think of myself as kind of an expert on raptors and I also enjoy shooting landing shots allot and I have many of them in my portfolio of different species. With an owl coming in to catch something, the last few inches or feet depending on the species, is what we call "the pounce" which is obvious as the owl tucks it's feet back and pulls it's wings back in an attempt to speed up the strike. This looks like a typical nice landing shot. Well done.

Here is a landing shot of a Burrowing owl in a similar pose. The rock was cropped but you can see the similar posture as the bird lands in a normal manor and it was not baited.

Steve Kaluski
07-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Thanks Bill, you could be right, will take a look when I'm back.

Thanks Jon, I think we both are enjoying our active owls out in the open. :S3:

Thanks David and appreciate the posting. The reason for f/8 is I'm trying to gain as much DoF as possible, as he can come in from various angles and for me, it's working, plus not having the benefit of your lovely light, I have to go higher on ISO, but not a problem with the 1DX as you know and the way you set the whole kit up. I have images before and after, but only a few have been kept, normally discarded. As I mentioned before, it's easy to do the more 'pedestrian, predictable' images we all do, but I really need to expand personally and in terms of image content. There are many reasons why I'm shooting this species, but certain people like yourself, Dan, Arash and a few others I feel do inspire people and I think that is one of BPN's forte's

Cheers
Steve :wave:

Gabriela Plesea
07-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Superb owl-in-flight, Steve - fantastic pose and I like the head angle in particular, lovely natural colours and sharpness is spot-on!

The subject stands out well against that green BG and I find this aesthetically pleasing - well processed and presented as always, wonderful detail:)

Your owls are truly adorable and I am not surprised you have this special "connection" with them. Even though you remained a spectator over the years - and I know they have not been baited or interfered with in any way - your fascination, your genuine admiration and respect for the species does come through in your images and at the same time open our eyes to the world of those small yet very precious creatures. So thank you so much for sharing this, not only a well executed frame from the technical POV but I find it so interesting in terms of behaviour:)

My last thoughts tonight as I am viewing this, and after reading some of the comments above: I do find this image inspiring, Steve - exceptional work in the field as well as PP work. Photoshop does make it easier for us to reach beauty, but unfortunately it has not simplified the process of some photographers appreciating it. Capturing special moments is to me a reason to be alive, and I find it quite extraordinary that Mother Nature can - on its own, and regardless of us photographers - produce such beautiful creatures, often so suited to our human sense of beauty and proportion. I only needed a minute to look at this frame and feel joy...I guess I made my point?

Wishing you a great week-end,

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
07-18-2015, 05:54 AM
I only needed a minute to look at this frame and feel joy...I guess I made my point?

Thank you Gabriela, I just wished that if, in some small way I could convey your thoughts, wishes, pleasure and overall warmth & enthusiasm to them, however I think in the future you are able to enjoy your own Wols from what I understand and enjoy their own unique fun and antics. In addition it would be great to see another species, although I doubt they will be Pearl spotted, Eagle, Pel's etc, but perhaps your own Barn?

Always a joy to read your replies and have good weekend to and get Andre back in that kitchen :w3!

Gabriela Plesea
07-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Hello Steve,

I have many images of owls but none as good as yours:)

And I think the little one visiting our garden at night is a barn owl, soon I shall put up that nest and see what happens!

Andre is cooking up a storm tonight, LOL - my turn tomorrow...I am now back on BPN after a two week break, very thirsty to work on some images and to catch up on the latest posts of course...

Hope you have a great week,

Warmest regards,