PDA

View Full Version : Crested Caracara

Joseph Przybyla
07-06-2015, 07:31 AM
I captured this image along Joe Overstreet Road in Osceola County, Florida. This is one from the past that I recently worked on. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF-S ED shot at 300mm (450mm FFE)
1/1600 F/5.6 Matrix Metering 0 EV ISO 2000 AWB
Post processed in Lightroom 6 and Photoshop Elements 10
Cropped for composition

Satish Ranadive
07-06-2015, 09:30 AM
Excellent image, Joseph.
Very nice profile pose showing nice HA and his talons are superb. Beautiful colours and nice details.
Only I feel bad about his nicktatin membrane is covering the eye. If I am not wrong.

Regards,
Satish.

Steve Kaluski
07-06-2015, 03:06 PM
Hi Joseph, nothing wrong in going back to old files and reprocessing from new techs learnt, proves the image was good when originally captured.

Personally I thinks it's a little tight in frame, a bit more air all round so the bird can breathe would be nice. Did you lighten the plumage? A very nice Raptor, those talons look like icepicks.

TFS
Steve

William Dickson
07-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Beautiful looking frame Joe and you captured the bird well. Lovely pose and HA. Very nice details and sharpness I love 'The Beatles' hairdo :w3 Great work

Will

Joseph Przybyla
07-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting, and suggesting improvements.

Steve, I gave the bird room to breathe by cropping less tight as you suggested. Regarding the feathers, just normal processing, no lightening in post processing. Not sure why you asked...

Steve Kaluski
07-07-2015, 07:54 AM
Steve, I gave the bird room to breathe by cropping less tight as you suggested

Did you forget to attach it? :w3

Regarding the feathers, just normal processing, no lightening in post processing. Not sure why you asked...

It was just the 'tone/appearance' within the feather plumage, but thanks, probably this MBP screen!!!

Joseph Przybyla
07-07-2015, 08:02 AM
Hi Steve, no, but here it is for you to take a look at. Thank you for viewing and commenting. I also fixed the eye that had either a reflection or nictating membrane along the upper edge.

Steve Kaluski
07-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Not too much difference I think Joe, but have you added any NR, the post and part of the head, plumage looks a little flat, soft and lacking detail compared to the OP I think?

Joseph Przybyla
07-07-2015, 02:48 PM
Hi Steve, I had added noise reduction, so I went back and eliminated it. Switching from one to the other I can see the flatness you mention. Thanks for your help.

Bill Nuttall
07-07-2015, 03:52 PM
nothing wrong with the image as a portrait …. it is very pleasing

but processing seems to have been pushed a little too much for me, (IMHO) …… my preference is to try to get what I saw

Joseph Przybyla
07-07-2015, 04:31 PM
nothing wrong with the image as a portrait …. it is very pleasing

but processing seems to have been pushed a little too much for me, (IMHO) …… my preference is to try to get what I saw

Hi Bill, not sure what you mean regarding the processing being pushed a little too much? I did not do anything beyond my normal workflow, exposure, highlights and shadows, setting white and black clipping points, a little clarity and vibrance. Then a slight downward curve to bring out the mid-tones and depth. Then as a last step sharpening and noise reduction. Really nothing extreme, just trying to get the most that the data in the raw file contained. Thanks for your comment, just not sure what you were referring to?

Don Hamilton Jr.
07-08-2015, 10:52 AM
Like the original port .. slightly tight for me on the right.... Great capture, as i know the area well, and you captured a fantastic moment!!! ++++++

David Salem
07-09-2015, 12:50 PM
I like the original post also. The pose, the details, and the beautiful colors all make for one of your better images. Very nice Joseph.