PDA

View Full Version : One Eyed Jack... (AKA Cyclops)

Joseph Przybyla
07-03-2015, 02:30 PM
No, not really, the other eye of this Burrowing Owl is scanning for danger while this eye keeps track of me. The male is on the perch because the female is in the burrow with the newly hatched owlets. I captured this image just before sunset, notice the enlarged pupil to capture more light. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm (600mm FFE)
1/500 F/5.6 Matrix Metering + 2/3 EV ISO 1250
Post processed in Lightroom 6 and Photoshop Elements 10
Cropped for composition, I also have a vertical

Ilija Dukovski
07-03-2015, 03:20 PM
Very nice, love the eye, one foot pose. The only comment I think I have that the bird is bit too centered for horizontal crop.
This could work as a vertical crop too IMO.

Cheers,
Ilija

Steve Kaluski
07-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Hi Joseph, good to see you getting more 'tonal detail' back into the subject, creates more depth/form. Would like a bit more below, he/she looks a little precarious on that perch, LOL. Is the yellow that deep, just interested.

TFS
Steve

PS If your using LRCC then you really do need to get PSCC2015, there are some great features and both dovetail nicely.

gail bisson
07-03-2015, 03:37 PM
I like this comp Joe.
I might add a little bit more contrast and/or add a couple of points of blacks to the neutrals in selective color if you have CS5.
Great BG to compliment the owl.
Gail

Loi Nguyen
07-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Love the eye. Agreed with Gail regarding adding more contrast or couple points of blacks. The colors look a bit pale to me. I assume it was a cloudy afternoon, so no direct light on the owl? Loi

Joseph Przybyla
07-03-2015, 04:01 PM
Thaks Ilija, Steve, Gail, and Loi for viewing, commenting and suggesting improvements. I will work on your suggestions.

Steve, your might say, I have found my mid-tones and shadows. Regarding the yellow of the eye, must be that deep I did nothing to enhance or change the color.

Alan Murphy
07-03-2015, 08:09 PM
Nice sharp detail and comp.

Steve Kaluski
07-04-2015, 02:19 AM
Steve, your might say, I have found my mid-tones and shadows. Regarding the yellow of the eye, must be that deep I did nothing to enhance or change the color.

Well you certainly have created more depth for sure which is great, but I personally have concerns about adding any addition Black via Selective Colour & Contrast, think what happens then to the Black & darker shadow areas within the subject? :w3

keith mitchell
07-04-2015, 02:24 AM
Never seen one of these Owls Joe so can not comment on colour but must say this does look very natural, nice look back and one legged pose,like this a lot.

Keith.

William Dickson
07-04-2015, 04:27 AM
Nice looking image Joe. The feather details are lovely, and I love that pose he gave you. Very nice

Will

Karl Egressy
07-04-2015, 08:02 AM
Nice sharpness and composition, Joe.

Joseph Przybyla
07-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting, and suggesting improvements. Very much appreciated...