PDA

View Full Version : Florida Bobcat

Joseph Przybyla
07-03-2015, 08:12 AM
Not sure how good this is, I am much better with feathers than fur. I posted it so you could see one of our Florida wild cats. The image was captured along Black Point Wildlife Drive, Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, Merritt Island, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF-S ED shot at 300mm (450mm FFE)
1/1250 F/8 Matrix Metering 0 EV ISO 1400 AWB
Post processed in Lightroom 6 and Photoshop Elements 10
Cropped for composition

Andreas Liedmann
07-03-2015, 08:46 AM
Hi Joseph , i think it is great to get a Bobcat in front of the lens so you did well in first place .
I also like the pose the Cat gave you and it looks quite relaxed.
For me the image has some technical issues as presented , as i do find the detail a bit coarse and the shadows are carrying a bit too much blue/purple for my taste .
Is this a large crop that the IQ has suffered from ? I also think it is a bit tight on top .

TFS Andreas

Joseph Przybyla
07-03-2015, 09:03 AM
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for viewing and commenting. This cat was just happenstance, as Dottie and I drove along the wildlife drive it had come out of the water and was sitting about 30 feet away in a adjoining roadway. So not a big crop, just poor processing on my part. Totally out of my comfort zone not being a bird.

Rachel Hollander
07-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Hi Joe - Great to see a bobcat and have it stand still for you at least for a few seconds. I too noticed the color issue, purple and magenta cast to the fur and feel that the image is oversharpened or perhaps a bit too much clarity slider. It is worth processing this one slowly and carefully. It's really not all that different from processing birds.

TFS and thanks for commenting on other posts (you'll find you also receive more comments when you make them as well),
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
07-04-2015, 02:35 AM
Hi Joseph, great to see you posting here and a nice subject too. Have to agree on Andreas's comments regarding the actual image, however PP is the same for Avian, Wildlife, Marco, no change of workflow to process the subject. I would give it another bash if you have time, you owe it to the subject and yourself. I think f5.6 would have been better.

TFS
Steve