PDA

View Full Version : Little owl late evening

dennis greenwood
07-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Transition time for the little owls at the moment ,with the female now out of the nest things will change for the little man,this shot came about with a few ideas of a new project and a idea from Mike pooley ,result tonight was a three hour wait missing a bit of action around me in hope he would land on his natural perch (non baited ) late evening ,this shot was aprox 10 mins to early for me but that's wildlife for you,even so I am still happy with it,taken with a loaned 500mm (thanks mike) but I reckon I can get the shots with my 300mm eventually ,canon 1d mk4 iso 800 1/320 sec +1/3 ev 153537

Loi Nguyen
07-01-2015, 05:03 PM
Hi Dennis, I like the pose and the reflection of the sun int he eyes. Good light too. What was the aperture setting? 1/320 is just a tough low SS, not sure how much of a crop as I would expect to see a bit bore details and sharpness with the 500f4. Loi

John Robinson
07-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Looks like the Little Owls that I see
Nice one
John R

Ian Wilson
07-02-2015, 12:07 AM
If I had a choice I would use a more natural looking perch. I am not familiar with this species but wonder if a little more contrast is needed. I look forward to seeing more results from this project. Regards, Ian.

dennis greenwood
07-02-2015, 05:23 AM
If I had a choice I would use a more natural looking perch. I am not familiar with this species but wonder if a little more contrast is needed. I look forward to seeing more results from this project. Regards, Ian.

Hi, thanks for taking time to reply,this is a natural perch for the little owl,in fact its been used by this male for the last three years ,that's how I know were to wait ,he will use just before sunset and a some time just after ,normaly if I use a set up I will look for a perch,but this is the little chaps natural perch in the group of posts that have stood in the quarry for donkeys years ...

Mike Poole
07-02-2015, 06:59 AM

Den, I know the original is a little sharper than the one posted here, probably due to the compression, so I've taken the liberty to re-posting it with a touch more sharpening, which I think brings it closer to the original

Mike

dennis greenwood
07-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Thanks Mike.......

Jonathan Ashton
07-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Dennis - lovely shot, Mike took the words from my mouth - certainly worth going back to the raw and re-sharpen. A bird that has completely eluded me to date, I am very envious!