PDA

View Full Version : May Day, May Day.

Stu Bowie
07-01-2015, 01:58 PM
This is what you achieve when you have too much glass, and these Cape Vultures come in too close, landing gear all over the place. Still, they touch down perfectly. This was captured at the Vulture rehab conservation center where carcass's are left out for these wonderful birds to feed. These Vultures are totally wild, and descend from the surrounding mountains. You ask why if they come in so close, I shoot with 600mm - most images are captured as they descend front on, and from fairly far away. You can capture a full sequence as they come in, without cutting off any wing tips. I have posted full body shots of these Vultures with full wingspreads previously. This shot is full frame.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8 +2X TC = 600mm
1/1600
F/7.1
ISO 640

Hand Held.

Gerald Kelberg
07-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Fantastic image, Stu!

Amazing how bright the underwing looks; and nice and sharp and clear.

Love that raised foot!

Must be really something to have a whole gang of them descending!

Thanks for sharing, Gerald

Loi Nguyen
07-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Very beautiful Stu. The "crop" works for me despite the clipped wings. Thanks for explaining that you had posted a full wing image previously.

Karen Pleasant
07-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Nicely done, Stu! The head so very sharp with very nice feather details! And the exposure is spot on! Thanks for sharing a moment in time!

Randy Stout
07-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Stu:

Because their head is small in relationship to the wingspan, I often feel like I can't see the details there as well as I might like. Well, not so with this image!

You framed the critical elements well. Surprisingly good DOF for being this tight, with this much focal length.

Well done!

Cheers

Randy

Warren Spreng
07-01-2015, 09:46 PM
Great shot! The bird looks like an experiment gone bad mixing a Canadian Goose with a vulture!

gail bisson
07-02-2015, 07:32 AM
Very unusual view of a vulture.
Great light and BG.
Just love the raised foot!
I could also see this as a vertical.
Nice one Stu!

Stu Bowie
07-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Thanks a stack for all the feedback everyone.

Joseph Przybyla
07-02-2015, 01:25 PM
What a fearsome looking bird. Love the colors and detail, with a full body shot the detail on the face and talons would not show as well. Thank you for sharing.

David Salem
07-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Thats a great in your face shot Stu! Liked it when I saw it on FB and like it even more in the larger size. Great details and colors and I really like the raised foot. Well done

Sidharth Kodikal
07-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Incredible details and IQ! You've framed it perfectly for maximum impact. You're DOF is perfect too. The gradation in the BG adds further depth and interest. I love this one Stu.

Satish Ranadive
07-06-2015, 01:34 AM
Fantastic image with apt title , Stuart Sir.

Regards,
Satish.