PDA

View Full Version : Theme: High Key Gannet on final approach

Gerald Kelberg
07-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Captured this Gannet on a recent visit to the Great Saltee Island in Ireland - flying in to join the colony.

Given there is some colour in the background, not entirely sure it meets the criteria of being "high-key" - pleased to have confirmation either way.

Canon EOS 1DX, EOS 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L (old version) @ 200mm
1/1000 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 1600
Fill flash - hi-speed sync @ -2.6
Converted with DPP with adjustments in PS5 - levels, curves, saturation, Dfine for NR

Comments and suggestions most welcome.

Thanks, Gerald

Stu Bowie
07-01-2015, 02:12 PM
Hi Gerald, love the symmetrical wing positions, and the topsy turfy feet. Interesting to see the two darker feathers in the tail, and Im seeing a blue cast on the whites - easily fixed. :w3

Gerald Kelberg
07-01-2015, 04:08 PM
Hi Stu,

Thanks - I should have seen the blue cast!

Looking better now?

Regards, Gerald

Steve Kaluski
07-01-2015, 05:32 PM
RP works better Gerald, but adding a luminosity layer mask just pulls a bit more definition/detail out of the wings IMHO.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
07-02-2015, 01:34 AM
Hi Gerald i am 50/50 on the colors of RP , from my POV i would keep the blue cast a bit even if it does look a bit "strange ".
I like the full wing stretch and the paddling feet pose .
I would like to see a tiny bit more space on all sides of the frame , something like 5-10 % as the subject does look a bit squeezed in the frame.
Well executed flash work !!

TFS Andreas

Gerald Kelberg
07-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Hi Steve and Andreas,

Thanks for your inputs. Steve - I have applied a luminosity mask already - but guess a second one wouldn't hurt. Andreas - I think I could live with it either way but the less blue is probably a better representation of reality. Agree, could have a little more space, although there isn't much more on the original frame.

Best wishes,

Gerald

Steve Kaluski
07-02-2015, 11:29 AM
Perhaps a little less flash Gerald.

Never really used hi speed sync, but I do think perhaps more DoF & higher SS would help too, start to push the ISO say 3200????

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-02-2015, 03:45 PM
To me the RP looks a little more clinical, too white and too perfect. Not sure how the scene really looked, but I still prefer the OP.
Love the frame, great details and the sharpness is excellent.
Agree to add a little more space as well.
TFS

Gerald Kelberg
07-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

The idea was to add flash to keep the plumage from turning grey - that is keep it light under the wings. So, I was wanting it to give it a high key look rather than strictly recording the environment as shot. But having said that, it was a light grey on brightish white situation. I think that if the bird had been absolutely straight on, I would have had enough DOF, but agree a little more could have been an advantage.

Always great to get your views - thanks,

Gerald