PDA

View Full Version : Sacred Kingfisher

nzmacro
07-01-2015, 04:50 AM
Sacred Kingfisher on a dive for small crabs.

Sony NEX-7, Canon FD 500 F/4.5L @ F/4.5, ISO 200, 1/4000

Danny.

Randy Stout
07-01-2015, 06:11 AM
Danny:

Unique action captured here. Don't believe I have seen a kingfisher going after crabs. Looks like he closed his nictitating membrane to protect against splash.

I might try a bit more sharpening on the head. Was this much of a crop?

If possible, a lower shooting angle would have helped soften the busy background. Not always possible of course.

Hopefully you have more in this series.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
07-01-2015, 08:24 AM
Unique action for sure, and for that reason the image works. Technically has a couple of issues such as subtle subject motion softness (and subsequent heavy sharpening to try to limit that?), and some noise on the wings. I still think the image would be marketable for the hunting behaviour that we do not often see. Thanks for sharing!

Stu Bowie
07-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Its always great to capture Kingfishers 'fishing' and you have timed this very well. Yes they do close their nictitating membrane, which is not always ideal, but you have still captured the moment. I wonder why such a low ISO, although you did achieve a fast ss, so Im thinking this may be a large crop due to the loss of IQ.

arash_hazeghi
07-03-2015, 01:33 PM
it's a great dynamic frame but unfortunately it looks like it was OOF (out of focus) and sharpening made it noisy as Dan pointed out. I think you are using a manual focus lens (?) it is extremely difficult if not impossible to manually focus on a subject like this....