PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prismatic Spring

Karen Pleasant
06-30-2015, 12:37 PM

I had to make a steep hike up a very slippery hill to get this vantage point. I really like the scale provided by the people and the boardwalk and the repetitive partial circles.

Nikon D800, 70-200/2.8 @ f16 and 165mm
1/90, ISO 400

Used CS6 to apply contrast, curves, a little dodge and burn, and sharpening. No vibrace or saturation added.

Here is a little information on the colors: "Water at the center of the spring, which bubbles up 121 feet from underground chambers, can reach temperatures around 189 degrees Fahrenheit, which makes it too hot to sustain most life (some life does manage to exist, but its limited to organisms that feed off of inorganic chemicals like hyrdogen gas). Because there's very little living in the center of the pool, the water looks extremely clear, and has a beautiful, deep-blue color (thanks to the scattering of blue wavelengths — the same reason oceans and lakes appear blue to the naked eye). But as the water spreads out and cools, it creates concentric circles of varying temperatures each signified a different temperature. And these distinct temperature rings are key, because each ring creates a very different environment inhabited by different types of bacteria. And it's the different types of bacteria that give the spring its prismatic colors."

For context only, here is a wider image of the area:
Nikon D800, 24-70mm @ f16 at 48mm
1/30, ISO 100

Valerio Tarone
06-30-2015, 03:31 PM
a pleasant image, i like colors, blue contrast to red and yellow. good the composition from left to right.It's not in my idea to have roads and other human elements in the image,but this is not mine and you can,of course, different style.

Don Railton
06-30-2015, 06:50 PM
Hi Karen... The pool/spring is quite beautiful in the range of colour & pattern it provides. Mother Nature at its best... Like valerio, I am not so keen on the pathways and find them a distraction but understand why you might want to keep them in.

DON

Don Lacy
07-01-2015, 05:04 PM
Lovely colors and patterns here Karen I much prefer the tighter crop.

Karen Pleasant
07-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Thank you, Don! As indicated, the second image was purely for context. Other than an extreme close up, there was no way show the size of this natural wonder while eliminating the boardwalk and the people. Those elements, to me, showed the scale of this natural wonder.

I will post another thread showing a close up which may be more appealing to those who discount the human element.

Karen Pleasant
07-01-2015, 07:13 PM
I have posted a more tightly cropped image in this thread.... (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/129523-Grand-Prismatic-Spring-2)

Andrew McLachlan
07-03-2015, 08:22 PM
Hi Karen, I do like the tighter crop more so than the wider angle as well...the boardwalks and people do help give the viewers a sense of scale for these scenes...I'm heading over to the new thread now :S3: