PDA

View Full Version : Kittiwake

Jonathan Ashton
06-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Hand held Canon 1DX Canon 100-400L IS II ISO 400 1/2500 sec f7.1

gail bisson
06-29-2015, 03:13 PM
I like the image design you were trying to achieve and it would have worked had you had enough DOF for the BIF and the nesting bird.
I am not sure if the BIF is not sharp( more noticeable around the head) due to SS or DOF.
The 2 tails sticking out into the frame are an issue for me as well.
I would consider raising the overall exposure on this. It feels dark but perhaps this accurately portrays the situation.
Gail

Joseph Przybyla
06-29-2015, 03:38 PM
I won't ask how you captured this image... I have visions of you hovering like a hummingbird. Very interesting image, thank you for sharing.

Gerald Kelberg
06-30-2015, 02:57 AM
Hi Jon,

Nice attempt to show 'life on the cliffs' at a Kittiwake colony - they're interesting places and a lot of fun to shoot.

I'm not sure this image is working however. The overall design/composition doesn't work for me, and the bird seems to have been in the shade against a brighter background, giving you lighting problems on the bird.

I think I have quite a number of shots with this issue...

Regards,

Gerald

Jonathan Ashton
06-30-2015, 04:59 AM
Thanks Gail Gerald, this was a tricky shot to get, the lighting was difficult, the bird in flight actually caught the daylight whilst the rest of the image was in shade. I have had another close look and you are right the in flight bird is not quite pin sharp. Regards the tails and the composition I am happy with that, I caught it how it was and I didn't want to redesign it. I take your point though and I have another image that I think you will prefer.... and the in flight bird is sharp:w3

Marina Scarr
06-30-2015, 07:11 AM
Really LOVE what you were going for here and it's obvious that it was a very difficult shoot. I'd like to see the bird flying in a little lower in the frame.