PDA

View Full Version : Male Widow Skimmer

Warren Spreng
06-28-2015, 08:15 PM
BG is a bit busy but finding them without anything in the background around my pond is a challenge! One of my favorite dragonflies, I love the pale blue spots on the wings and these are pretty large dragons! Canon T3i, Canon EF-S60 mm macro, HH, Manual, 1/2000, ISO 400, f/8. BG NR, sharpening in PS CC.

Jonathan Ashton
06-29-2015, 08:03 AM
That's a handsome looking dragonfly well focused and exposed. The small area at the back of the head is understandably a little indistinct possibly a little lifting of the shadows may help. The setting is natural though the grasses are a tad intrusive. I am guessing that is a crop frame camera and half guessing with a 60mm lens you may have been ok at a slightly wider aperture and thus reduce the impact of the background it may be worthwhile experimenting. Meanwhile I would suggest toning down the brightest grasses. It is a good shot worthwhile spending a little time on.

Warren Spreng
06-29-2015, 09:37 AM
That's a handsome looking dragonfly well focused and exposed. The small area at the back of the head is understandably a little indistinct possibly a little lifting of the shadows may help. The setting is natural though the grasses are a tad intrusive. I am guessing that is a crop frame camera and half guessing with a 60mm lens you may have been ok at a slightly wider aperture and thus reduce the impact of the background it may be worthwhile experimenting. Meanwhile I would suggest toning down the brightest grasses. It is a good shot worthwhile spending a little time on.

Thanks for the suggestion Jonathan! I still had my camera set at f/8 from previously trying to get two Blue Dashers that were constantly "bickering" about a particular perch and was trying to increase my DOF and didn't even think about changing that when I came upon this specimen. I did a bit of lifting the shadows on the back of the head, and I'm wondering if I should have used a little bit of fill in flash. Of course I wasn't carrying my flash with me on this little walk! Always learning! Thanks again for the comments. (Yes, the T3i has a 1.3x crop factor)

Jonathan Ashton
06-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Jonathan! I still had my camera set at f/8 from previously trying to get two Blue Dashers that were constantly "bickering" about a particular perch and was trying to increase my DOF and didn't even think about changing that when I came upon this specimen. I did a bit of lifting the shadows on the back of the head, and I'm wondering if I should have used a little bit of fill in flash. Of course I wasn't carrying my flash with me on this little walk! Always learning! Thanks again for the comments. (Yes, the T3i has a 1.3x crop factor)

Warren the flash would have helped, but sometimes or often it causes reflections off the wings so it can be a mixed blessing but it is always worth a try. If you have a flash gun I would suggest put a diffuser over the head if you haven't got one I would recommend Stofen Omnibounce - cheap and excellent light diffusion in a jiffy. Also use flash sparingly i.e. not full fill in try at -1 to -1.6 EV it depends on the gun.

Allen Sparks
06-30-2015, 04:55 AM
Hi Warren,
great subject you captured. Looks like an immature male just turning to adult form. The details and colors you caught work well for me. Just wish for a less busy BG.
Allen

Warren Spreng
06-30-2015, 11:01 AM
Hi Warren,
great subject you captured. Looks like an immature male just turning to adult form. The details and colors you caught work well for me. Just wish for a less busy BG.
Allen

Thanks Allen! I don't know if I have ever seen a full adult as all of the ones I have seen have that black and yellow abdomen. I'll have to keep my eyes open!

Warren Spreng
06-30-2015, 11:47 AM
Here is a RP with the brighter areas in the BG reduced and the back of the head with some additional shadow lightening. I think this lets the fly stand out a bit more.

Diane Miller
06-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Gorgeous! If this is a perch he uses regularly, could you sneak in when he's out and remove some of the BG foliage?

I had to try a couple of teaks -- cleaned the UR corner and made a gradient quick mask on the bottom, leaning a bit toward the left when I dragged it, making it extend a bit higher on the right side. Then did a Hue-Sat adj layer and desaturated and darkened just a little. The color near the bottom edge is lovely, but that had the effect of pulling my eye down there.

Warren Spreng
06-30-2015, 09:51 PM
Gorgeous! If this is a perch he uses regularly, could you sneak in when he's out and remove some of the BG foliage?

I had to try a couple of teaks -- cleaned the UR corner and made a gradient quick mask on the bottom, leaning a bit toward the left when I dragged it, making it extend a bit higher on the right side. Then did a Hue-Sat adj layer and desaturated and darkened just a little. The color near the bottom edge is lovely, but that had the effect of pulling my eye down there.

Thanks Diane! Good suggestion on knocking down some of the foliage. If the rain lets up a little this weekend I'll revisit the spot and see if he is still around. I like your changes, it does make you focus more on the fly than the BG.

Steve Maxson
07-01-2015, 10:50 AM
This one is posing nicely for you, Warren and you have good sharpness throughout your subject. Also, good suggestions above regarding the background. Your repost is clearly an improvement and I like what Diane has done to take it one step further. This is nicely done and the few tweaks suggested will make it even better! :S3:

Warren Spreng
07-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Thanks Steve! There are a number of other varieties I certainly wish would pose like this guy! There is a big Saddleback I'd love to get a shot of but I swear it hasn't landed in two weeks!

Diane Miller
07-01-2015, 09:37 PM
We have hyperactive Black Saddlebags out here -- the same thing? They are driving a friend to distraction. They do hover in front of us sometimes, and as soon as the AF kicks in they are gone, in full afterburner.

Warren Spreng
07-02-2015, 02:31 PM
We have hyperactive Black Saddlebags out here -- the same thing? They are driving a friend to distraction. They do hover in front of us sometimes, and as soon as the AF kicks in they are gone, in full afterburner.

Yep, same bug! Oh they hover for about a spit second and your description about full afterburner is dead on! :bg3:

Warren Spreng
07-02-2015, 02:37 PM

Here is my RP after working in the suggestions. Thanks!