PDA

View Full Version : Three-toed Sloth

Geoffrey Montagu
06-28-2015, 12:32 PM
Image taken from a skiff while recently exploring the lowlands of the Peruvian Amazon River and several black water tributaries. Though we were there primarily to find and photograph birds, we would come across mammals and reptiles, each providing, some clear and others not so, opportunities. C&C welcome.

D4s, Nikon 500mm + 1.4 tc, 1/1000, f 8.0, ISO 2000, Monopod.

Geoffrey

Gabriela Plesea
06-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Dear Geoffrey,

This is one interesting species to photograph and I envy you for this opportunity!

I must thank you for sharing this capture with us, cannot remember seeing a Sloth image in this forum, so refreshing to view something new:w3

My first thoughts when I opened this thumbnail were "slow motion", and "dream-like", I guess my next comment would normally have been " I wish for the eyes to be open" but when it comes to the sloth, well...things can be different:w3

The crop is just right IMO, I like the pose of the subject and its positioning within the frame, just thinking F8 might have been too much - it would have been great to have more separation between Sloth and foliage, WDYT?

Wonderful capture and I am hoping to see some of your reptile and mammal images from this trip, meanwhile - thank you so much for sharing:)

Kind regards,

Karen Pleasant
06-28-2015, 02:40 PM
What an interesting creature you have brought to us! Thanks! The background gives us a good idea of his environment and how he adapts to it. His long body is nicely focused...and I enjoy the clear view of those 3 "toes"! I would imagine getting a clear shot of this animal was quite a treat and you certainly took advantage of the situation!

If possible it would be nice to have a little more separation between his head and the tree branch behind him.

Geoffrey Montagu
06-28-2015, 03:23 PM
Dear Geoffrey,

This is one interesting species to photograph and I envy you for this opportunity!

I must thank you for sharing this capture with us, cannot remember seeing a Sloth image in this forum, so refreshing to view something new:w3

My first thoughts when I opened this thumbnail were "slow motion", and "dream-like", I guess my next comment would normally have been " I wish for the eyes to be open" but when it comes to the sloth, well...things can be different:w3

The crop is just right IMO, I like the pose of the subject and its positioning within the frame, just thinking F8 might have been too much - it would have been great to have more separation between Sloth and foliage, WDYT?

Wonderful capture and I am hoping to see some of your reptile and mammal images from this trip, meanwhile - thank you so much for sharing:)

Kind regards,

Thanks, Gabriela.

You mention "slow motion", and "dream-like" and wishing for the eyes to be open. That prompted me to go back to the original sequence, of which there were a total of 12 frames and as I recall the exposures were 2 in a burst with a beat or two between realizing no need for speed. Within the 12 frames not one with eyes open. I do have images of another Sloth on different day I think with eyes open.

Geoffrey

Rachel Hollander
06-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Hi Geoffrey - Great to see a species we haven't seen posted very often. You did great exposing for the sloth and getting nice detail. I really like the pose too. I'm not sure I've seen another image with a sloth hanging by just 2 feet and fully extended downwards. The image I typically think of is a sloth hanging below a branch but holding on with all 4 feet. The bg may be a bit busy but that's nature and the setting we find sloths in so no issue for me. Hope to see more from your trip.

TFS,
Rachel

Loi Nguyen
06-28-2015, 10:27 PM
Very nice to see an image of a sloth here. I think you did very well given the environment. I have no issue with the BG, that's part of the environment and I doubt if f5.6 would make much of a difference. Do you find the monopod more useful than a bean bag on the boat? TFS. Loi

Geoffrey Montagu
06-29-2015, 08:01 AM
Very nice to see an image of a sloth here. I think you did very well given the environment. I have no issue with the BG, that's part of the environment and I doubt if f5.6 would make much of a difference. Do you find the monopod more useful than a bean bag on the boat? TFS. Loi

Thanks, Loi.

Since most of the animals we were photographing were at least 10 feet and higher above us, mostly birds, a monopod or hand held was best. In the interest of traveling light, a tripod and bean bag, though useful, were left out.

Geoffrey

Richard Flack
06-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Awesome subject Geoffrey. Sloths are brilliant creatures! Love the pose but just wish the foliage was not as thick as it draws my eye away from the sloth (but this is what you had to work with). Thanks for sharing!

Andreas Liedmann
06-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Hi Richard what a great surprise to get on of these , very well worth to post for wider variety of species .
You did will in terms of exposure under the difficult rain forest circumstances .
Luckily you got this guy not hidden behind foliage , another plus !!!
Like the hanging pose and the overall comp .
I am not 100 % sure of the overall color , for me it is a bit too much on the yellow side , but as colors are subjective .....
Overall the sloth is a bit flat specially in the blacks and 3/4 tones . But this could be just my view .
Well worth to experiment with this frame.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
06-30-2015, 05:16 AM
Hi Geoffery, cool character, but I think I will leave their fascinating habits to the Sloths.

I think you may have been better with say f/5.6, still retaining a fast SS, but not a rapid burst as you say. Personally I might loose about half the space between the claw and the foot of the image, perhaps emphasising him/her touching the bottom???? I agree with Andreas about the colour, personal choice but:
- Drop the Exp by a third of a stop
- Reduce any highlight clipping
- WB going to the left, going a fraction cooler
- In HSL reduce the Red, Yellow and up the Green, figures/% personal taste

Looking forward to more.

TFS
Steve

haseeb badar
06-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Hi Geoffrey -- Really enjoyed seeing this specie !! u have done it well to capture it in the way u have did considering the surroundings and angle !! TFS

Geoffrey Montagu
07-01-2015, 09:55 AM
Thanks Everyone for your comments and suggestions. Neglected to mention this is a lifer for me.

Geoffrey