PDA

View Full Version : Red Knobbed Coot

Stu Bowie
06-28-2015, 04:11 AM
I was focused on this Coot as they are always up to mischief chasing others. Well, I was sleeping, as Ive missed the take off for the chase. This is the frame with him preparing to take off to chase, as the wings are already rising. Oh well, I didnt mind the clear reflection. Taken early morning at my local pond in Pretoria.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300F/2.8 +2X TC = 600mm
1/3200
F/6.3
ISO 1000

Hand held

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-28-2015, 06:55 AM
While not the ideal wing pose for my liking it is darn sharp Stu! That'll teach ya for sleeping right? The reflection is cool too.
Are those knobby things some kind of tumour?
Thanks for sharing mate.

Marina Scarr
06-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Tack sharp and exposure spot on. Love the reflection. Your coots are red knobs while ours have a red "panel" on their forehead. They are very similar. Wing pose isn't bad b/c there's light underneath the wings.

Rachel Hollander
06-28-2015, 07:58 AM
Hi Stu - Sharpness and exposure of the blacks spot on. The reflection and mirror like water take this image up a notch. While you may be upset at not getting the take off, I'd be pretty happy with this one.

TFS,
Rachel

Stu Bowie
06-28-2015, 08:12 AM
Are those knobby things some kind of tumour?

Thanks Akos. The knobs grow on them as they mature, as the youngsters dont have them. When they are in breeding, the knobs enlarge even more.

Mike Poole
06-28-2015, 01:41 PM
That's one funky looking coot! Excellent exposure control, and the smooth reflection is a real plus

Karen Pleasant
06-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Excellent control of the blacks and whites and the clear reflection is definitely a plus. I'd like to have seen a shot before this moment, but it would not have made this image any less pleasing. The wing position in this shot is interesting, too.

Thanks for sharing!

William Dickson
06-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Pretty cool detail here Stu. Looking even more towards getting a MkIV now :S3: Fab controls of the blacks, love the pose and the reflection.

Will

Sidharth Kodikal
06-29-2015, 11:25 AM
Excellent exposure control and details, Stu. The light is just gorgeous and I like the reflection. Those knobs are so interesting.

Stu Bowie
06-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Thanks a stack for all the feedback everyone. Always appreciated.

Randy Stout
06-30-2015, 06:11 PM
Stu:

Your light angle really lit this fellow well, nice contrast. I always find coots a challenge to expose because of that bone white patch vs the much darker body. You would think I would know how to handle black and white birds!

Nice reflection. For some reason the knobs make me think of a Star Wars character!

Cheers

Randy