PDA

View Full Version : Canon 1D Mk4

William Dickson
06-26-2015, 02:55 AM
I have made my mind up, I am trading in my Canon 7D Mk2 for a Canon 1DMk4. The 7D Mk2 is a good camera, but, I feel it has to be good lighting, and I dont get a lot of that in Scotland. I was also getting focus issues with the camera, and wasn't getting a good keeper rate with it. It can capture some good images as shown on my IOTW winner http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/129265-Avian-Image-of-the-Week-for-the-week-ending-Apr-10-2015-William-Dickson-Bluetit-on-Bulrush-2. But, I feel that I was discarding too many images with this camera.

What are the good and bad points of the 1D Mk4. What should I look out for, when buying a used one. Whats the max shutter count I should go to?

Any advice on this camera is much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Will

Karl Egressy
07-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Hi Will,
I had a 1D Mark IV for over four years, bought it new. I really liked it but still traded it in for a new 7D Mark II.
It had over 170'000 clicks.
I just recently bought a used Mark IV.
It has less than 10'000 shutter clicks, came with an extra battery and it looks like it just came out from the store.
I checked the shutter count, took some pictures indoors of a target and hoped for the best.
My suggestion: try to locate one that you actually can see and try it out.
Shutter count shouldn't be more than say 80'000. ( They start braking down at 200'000.)
I took some shot with the 7D Mark II and with the 1D Mark IV for comparison.
Resolution, sharpness IQ are all the same. ( None are as good IQ as the 5D Mark III we both have.)
The big plus is that you can go up to ISO 1250-1600 with the Mark IV.
Good points: it is very sturdy, very reliable. I used it for BIF and focusing was great.
Very little noise at ISO 800-1600.
Bad points: most features are hidden, you have to memorize where they are located if you want to do some changes to the settings.
It is a little heavy and bulky but you can get used to it very fast.
I hope this will help a little.

David Stephens
07-02-2015, 09:59 AM
Karl, how does AF compare between your 1D4 and your 7D2?

Karl Egressy
07-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Karl, how does AF compare between your 1D4 and your 7D2?
It is hard compare the two. I think they are pretty much the same.
I know the 5D Mark III is not as good as it takes longer to get the initial acquisition, plus the frame rate is not the best for BIF.
As for the 7D Mark II and 1D Mark IV, they are excellent BIF shooters.
I'll probably keep them both at least for now.

Fred Woodman
07-04-2015, 05:08 AM
I have both the 7Dii and the 1D iv , I like both but prefer the 7D for mostly the exact same reason as Karl outlined. The features on the 7Dii are much quicker to access and I find no difference in IQ or keeper rate. I travel a bit and weight wise every ounce counts. But both are great cameras.

Steve Kaluski
07-06-2015, 07:50 AM
William, what's the budget???

If you can I would look for a 1DX, OK you loose the crop factor, but gain in ISO and in Scotland I know what I would prefer. Regarding keeper rate that could be a whole multitude of things Will, SS, frame rate, DoF, and what you are shooting i.e. BIF, panning across or flying towards you...

Steve