PDA

View Full Version : Pied wagtail doing the food shop

Mike Poole
06-25-2015, 07:23 AM

Don't know how many chicks he's catering for, but this seems like a lot of food for one trip!

I liked the look back pose rather than the side on shot he gave me a moment later, albeit I wish I'd had chance to stop down a little for a bit more DoF for the tail - next time!

Canon 7d2
500mm f4is
ISO 1000
1/1600th f4

About 75% of the original frame, minimal PP

regards

Mike

Bill Dix
06-25-2015, 08:16 AM
Quite a mouthful; must be a large family. The lookback pose is nice. Added DOF would have been good but it's sharp where it matters most.

Jim Crosswell
06-25-2015, 09:00 AM
I like the look back pose, stuffed beak, composition and complimentary BG. I would clone out that one stray grass poking out at the bottom right corner. Well done Mike.

Karen Pleasant
06-25-2015, 11:32 AM
Pleasing look back pose! I have no idea how they keep catching stuff when their mouth is already full!

A little more focus in the tail would have been nice....but the eye/head/mouthful are nice and sharp. And the background benefitted from the f4 aperture. A slight crop (1/3 to 1/4) off the top above his head seems to strengthen the composition, at least to my eyes.

Jonathan Ashton
06-25-2015, 12:10 PM
Lovely shot Mike I like the viewpoint, excellent colours/exposure/details. I doubt if the aperture would have a great deal of effect for this angle anyways it looks tickety boo to me!

keith mitchell
06-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Mike the bit of loss on the tail does not bother me at all, colour ,sharpness of the bird and insects is all spot on, nice bg to finish it off.

Keith.

Bill Nuttall
06-25-2015, 03:38 PM
spot on for me Mike, Lovely grey bg, maybe a little short of foreground but that does not matter as the "mouthful" is outstanding and the pose of the bird and the eye contact pulls you in

William Dickson
06-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Great capture Mike. I love the look back pose with that mouthfull. Nice control of the blacks and whites. Its great fun photographing these flighty birds :S3: Good work

Will

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-26-2015, 07:48 AM
Mate, you missed at least three (even four) stops of DOF. Bummer. I feel it could have helped somewhat. Depends how close you were really.

A wonderful image nevertheless, I love the look back pose and the prey in the bill.

Great, soft, light.

Thanks for sharing.