PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Rotten Scoundrel

Steve Smith
06-24-2015, 08:51 PM

One of a gang of three felonious raccoons. Something reflected in the eye. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Canon 70D, Tamron 150-600 at 250mm, ISO 1000, shutter speed 1/640 sec, aperture F6.3.

Rachel Hollander
06-25-2015, 07:35 AM
Hi Steve - Good to see you back in Wildlife. We haven't had a lot of raccoons posted so nice to see something different. I like the looking up pose and the square comp works with it. The blacks are a bit choked up and I think you can also open the midtones to bring out more detail. I'm also seeing some noise in the bg. I'm not familiar with the 70D so don't know if the noise is a function of the ISO 1000 with that camera or was perhaps caused in PP for example by lightening an underexposed image.

Please don't forget to give your thoughts on other images. It's the best way for us all to learn from each other and to become part of the community. We recommend commenting on at least 3-5 other wildlife images each time you post one of your own.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
06-25-2015, 08:20 AM
Hi Steve, great to see a different species posted and one we rarely get too.

From my perspective I would say it's not 'a keeper' sadly, the image quality (IQ) isn't really there and overall it's not sharp in the places it needs to be. The background shows signs of noise which, to a degree can be dealt with in PP, but based on this I would look to putting more time into getting better images of these guys. You didn't say, but is this a large/substantial crop, if so this to will also drop the IQ of the image. I do however like the overall framing, the side profile POV and the darkish BKG emphasising those long whiskers.

Not sure how far you can push the ISO on the 70D, but you need to be looking at around 1/1500+ SS, minimum 1/1000 and if these conditions are as dark as they appear, then if feasible use a tripod, or rest the kit on a bean bag or some support, to reduce any camera shake. Have you thought about using a tried a flash, set low, do they react, would it be an issue????

In the RP I've dropped the blue, added some NR and added some more sharpening, certainly a lot than I am used to and it still needs more, but doubt it will help. Hope this helps.

TFS
Steve

Karen Pleasant
06-25-2015, 11:26 AM
Those long white whiskers really stand out well against that darkground! But I have to agree with Rachel and Steve regarding the noise and overall IQ. Steve gives some great suggestions. Also, for me, the crop feels a little too tight. Perhaps a little more room on the top and left side would help.

Gabriela Plesea
06-27-2015, 01:35 PM
Hello Steve,

Such a sweetie, your Little Scoundrel:)

Enjoyed viewing this frame and I love the content, very much- beautiful expression!

Mr. Kaluski's RP dealt with the sharpening issue and colour cast, if I may also suggest you try push the ISO in challenging lighting conditions - more shutter speed would have allowed for a F7.1 which would have been perfect IMO.

Love the dark BK, makes the subject pop so nicely, beautiful pose indeed (I would love to know what was he sniffling at:bg3:)

So very cute, this have me great pleasure to view, it must be that slightly open muzzle and those whiskers pointing forward:tinysmile_shy_t:

Please share some more images of this fellow if you have, cannot take my eyes of him...

Kind regards,

Morkel Erasmus
06-30-2015, 02:25 PM
Hi Steve. I like the pose and close-up view but agree with Steve that the image quality is not all there.
Looking forward to seeing more of your images though...