PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon Thoughts

Andre Pretorius
06-24-2015, 03:21 PM
The old man, surrounded by his herd, was deep in thought-- maybe contemplating his past-what was gained and lost...

Nikon D3S with 300F4
Manual exp
1/1000 of sec @ F6.3
ISO 400
EV +0,3

CS6- curves,levels, exp, B&D layers..

Steve Kaluski
06-25-2015, 07:02 AM
Hi Andre, nice clean head shot with good detail. Keep that SS there or above, like the PP too.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
06-25-2015, 07:42 AM
Hi Andre - He does give off a bit of a I'm going to do what I want and you'll just have to go around me feel. I like the bit of bush in his mouth. Nice detail and sharpness. I might prefer just a bit more to the left and less to the right but not a deal breaker, it just feels slightly tight on the horn to me.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
06-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Hi Andre-- excellent details and i liked the comp as well as the light , very nicely done !! liked that contemplating look on the old warrior !! TFS

Karen Pleasant
06-25-2015, 09:55 AM
Such nice sharp details in this head shot, especially the horn on top of his head. And I like the vegetation in the lower left corner. There is a nice transition in the lower right corner to the creamy background. If it were me, I would remove that bit of vegetation right below his mouth. My eye just keeps going to it instead of staying higher up in the image.

Andre Pretorius
06-25-2015, 01:38 PM
Thank you Steve, Rachel, Haseeb and Karen for the comments.

Steve, I take it as a Huge complement that the PP gets your stamp of approval!
Rachel, this 95% FF, my thoughts while capturing the image was space in front...That is a drawback of a fixed focal lens..:bugeyed: Still dreaming of the 200-400.. but what to do with the 300f2,8?

Thanks Haseeb, thinks he earned that right..

Karen, I tried to get as much detail as possible in PP this image. The vegetation in LHC had a bit to much HL that had to be tamed. Plant at his mouth.... thought of removing it, but maybe he wants to eat it!:bg3:

Oh, forgot to mention; posted this late last night; did do some gardening..

Steve Kaluski
06-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Andre you are most welcome, you know that if any of us see additional room to develope/move the image on, we will say, but I do think over the last year you have built on your camera skills and PP, culminating in some great images.

The 200-400, if you had that then you'll want an 800 :bg3:, sometimes the choice of lens is right, other times it can be too much, or too little, you can only make the choice at the time and live with it, but it's always easy to say things after the event or from a nice comfy studio chair. However, I do think that if we can learn from the image we can then build on future captures, in that we we develop and improve, hopefully :w3.

Cheers
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
06-27-2015, 07:22 AM
Just a solid, good buffalo portrait in sweet light - what's not to like?
Perhaps punch the midtones with 10% more or so??

Dumay de Boulle
06-28-2015, 01:53 AM
Nice detail, Nice light....Nice image!

Stu Bowie
06-28-2015, 03:32 AM
Hi Andre, love the light in this, and like the comp with the Buff looking out into space. I like the detail on the horns, together with the small piece of foliage. Good clean BG.

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-28-2015, 07:12 AM
I could see more room all around, for my taste at least.
Wonderful portrait André. Love the textures of his horn.
TFS

Andre Pretorius
06-28-2015, 09:18 AM
Thank you Morkel, Dumay, Stu and Akos for commenting!

This is about FF, we were in the herd- could smell them. Was difficult to manoeuvre in the seat, could not move the vehicle-was surrounded.

Raymond Barlow
06-29-2015, 07:18 AM
Very nice portrait Andre, beautiful detail, pp, and composition.

Andreas Liedmann
06-30-2015, 05:13 AM
Hi Boetie,
a very nice and yet simple Buff portrait that just works.
Very sweet light and nicely composed and you did very well with your PP !!! :wave: you have some nice colors and tones , i do agree though with Morkel for pushing the mid tones a bit more .

Very well done my friend :cheers:. TFS the Mr B.E.